I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
CabinetMaker
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 am

I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby CabinetMaker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi all. I'm not a rancher, but I am forced to know about cattle. I'm going through a waking nightmare, where somehow I became responsible for the safety of someone else's calves. (No joke.) Yet, I have no control over protection, fencing, shooting anything, etc; I cannot even go on their property. They wouldn't even let the FWC on their land, so they could help them out with their, supposedly, severe coyote problem.
I have done a bunch of research about raising calves/cattle and predators, but I figured I should ask the real ranchers. I'm in Florida. I'm not sure if things are done the same everywhere, or if what I'm dealing with is unique. Sorry if this is long, if you only can answer a few, that is very appreciated.
What size acreage/herd do you consider a hobby farm?
When do you guys tag your calves? Is there a case where you don't tag calves?
During calving season, do you have someone watching the heifers when the gestation period comes close to an end, especially if you are having a known predator problem?
Do you pen your heifers, or keep them in a barn, or something, when you suspect they are going to drop a calf, to keep them safe from predators?
Do you have a regular vet?
When you find a dead animal, can you with 100% certainty tell what killed the animal?
What do you do when you're having a known predator problem? (If you had a small herd <50)
Would you trust cattle guards to keep coyotes out of your pasture?
I was wondering if you guys use propane cannons for protection, (The ones designed to scare birds out of orchards,) against coyotes?
If not, what else do you use?
This picture isn't great, but can you tell how much this calf weighs and exactly what killed it?
Again, sorry if this is long. I really appreciate your time to help me. If you could point me to studies and official websites, even better. I've done a lot of homework, but I assume you guys have information that I, just a mere mortal, wouldn't know about.
Again, thanks so much for your time.
Image
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4654
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 pm

If you can't get lost on your place while sober. You gotta hobby farm.

I tag the ones i can catch easy

I check heifers as often as possible. Maybe 10 times a day maybe twice.

My heifers are in a 7 acre pen.

No
I have two irregular vets

A cattle guard will not even slow down a coyote.

My best guess is that calf was scared to death by a propane cannon...but it's impossible to be sure.

PostScript.....one dead calf is hardly a nightmare. Unless you make it one.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6829
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby M-5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:42 pm

CabinetMaker wrote:Hi all. I'm not a rancher, but I am forced to know about cattle. I'm going through a waking nightmare, where somehow I became responsible for the safety of someone else's calves. (No joke.) Yet, I have no control over protection, fencing, shooting anything, etc; I cannot even go on their property. They wouldn't even let the FWC on their land, so they could help them out with their, supposedly, severe coyote problem.
I have done a bunch of research about raising calves/cattle and predators, but I figured I should ask the real ranchers. I'm in Florida. I'm not sure if things are done the same everywhere, or if what I'm dealing with is unique. Sorry if this is long, if you only can answer a few, that is very appreciated
What size acreage/herd do you consider a hobby farm?.Hobby is something you don't make money with , size has little to do with it
When do you guys tag your calves? Is there a case where you don't tag calves?some at birth some at weaning
During calving season, do you have someone watching the heifers when the gestation period comes close to an end, especially if you are having a known predator problem?morning and night , I work off the farm
Do you pen your heifers, or keep them in a barn, or something, when you suspect they are going to drop a calf, to keep them safe from predators?no
Do you have a regular vet? yes , has not been to my place in 10 years or so
When you find a dead animal, can you with 100% certainty tell what killed the animal? not always but some signs are obvious
What do you do when you're having a known predator problem? (If you had a small herd <50)things that some consider inhumane
Would you trust cattle guards to keep coyotes out of your pasture?no
I was wondering if you guys use propane cannons for protection, (The ones designed to scare birds out of orchards,) against coyotes? no
If not, what else do you use?
This picture isn't great, but can you tell how much this calf weighs and exactly what killed it? I cant get picture to enlarge but it appears eaten. If this is the fresh kill I would look to see if the eyes are removed and if so would suspect mexicun buzzards , although a coyote could be responsible . usually a dog just kills it and does not eat it from my experience , your location has panthers but I don't think they eat their prey on site
Again, sorry if this is long. I really appreciate your time to help me. If you could point me to studies and official websites, even better. I've done a lot of homework, but I assume you guys have information that I, just a mere mortal, wouldn't know about.
Again, thanks so much for your time.
Image
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby Rafter S » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

" I'm going through a waking nightmare, where somehow I became responsible for the safety of someone else's calves."

Let me guess. A neighbor has a dead calf, and is blaming your dogs for it?
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby bball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm

If you're the defendant in the case, the burden of proof falls on the plaintiff. Would have to provide evidence to prove the calf's death is your fault or responsibility. Pics, videos, eyewitness testimony/affidavit. He said/she said will work in your favor as a defendant, unless you say something to incriminate yourself.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm

responsibility with no control? I'd tell them to go pound sand, I'm not taking any responsibility..
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

CabinetMaker
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 am

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby CabinetMaker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I forgot to add, that picture is the only physical evidence that a coyote killed a 200lb calf.

They have large gaps in their gates and fencing. They keep their gates open to all pastures, which are about 50 acres. They have one place that has no fence, only cattle guards. There is another place, from our property to theirs, that has no fence. (There is a clear game trail there too.) It's down a bit from the cattle guards and we have had their cattle on our property before. Basically, coyotes can easily just go from our property to theirs and cross a cattle guard. Or, just go under their gate gaps.
They claimed the propane cannon, was to keep coyotes away from their calves. It sounded 2 blasts, every half hour, 24hrs a day for 2 months, then from dusk till dawn for about another 2 months. The claimed the cannon is the ONLY thing that keeps coyotes away from their calves, during their calving season, (But they didn't know the gestation period when asked.) They wanted me to be responsible, if they were forced to turn it off. They wouldn't take any help I offered. I contacted trappers and FWC.
They now want me to responsible for the death of this calf. The picture and their word is all they have. They stated it was a steer calf, that's it. No other information was given. I never saw the calf before, or after it was killed. No third party verification. I don't know who, or where they sell their cattle.
So, we are going in front of a judge, who is also, not a rancher.
I thought I would ask the real experts here, for their opinion.
I don't own dogs, or any farm animals.
0 x

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Did you turn off the cannon? Wether you did or not and not hearing the other side of the story and only parts of your side...i don't see how they can even make a claim.
0 x

CabinetMaker
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:42 am

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby CabinetMaker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm

A judge made them turn off the cannon. Made me responsible if a calf was killed by a coyote and only if it was killed by a coyote.
The cannon was not the first, or the last, attempt at harassing us off our land.
0 x

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby bball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:15 pm

CabinetMaker wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies. I forgot to add, that picture is the only physical evidence that a coyote killed a 200lb calf.

They have large gaps in their gates and fencing. They keep their gates open to all pastures, which are about 50 acres. They have one place that has no fence, only cattle guards. There is another place, from our property to theirs, that has no fence. (There is a clear game trail there too.) It's down a bit from the cattle guards and we have had their cattle on our property before. Basically, coyotes can easily just go from our property to theirs and cross a cattle guard. Or, just go under their gate gaps.
They claimed the propane cannon, was to keep coyotes away from their calves. It sounded 2 blasts, every half hour, 24hrs a day for 2 months, then from dusk till dawn for about another 2 months. The claimed the cannon is the ONLY thing that keeps coyotes away from their calves, during their calving season, (But they didn't know the gestation period when asked.) They wanted me to be responsible, if they were forced to turn it off. They wouldn't take any help I offered. I contacted trappers and FWC.
They now want me to responsible for the death of this calf. The picture and their word is all they have. They stated it was a steer calf, that's it. No other information was given. I never saw the calf before, or after it was killed. No third party verification. I don't know who, or where they sell their cattle.
So, we are going in front of a judge, who is also, not a rancher.
I thought I would ask the real experts here, for their opinion.
I don't own dogs, or any farm animals.


So, does this imply you were able to get the cannon shut down because of noise nuisance complaint? And since you got their cannon shut off, and a coyote killed their calf, it's your fault? Is that the just of this? If so, they're going to have a tough time winning that I suspect.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby bball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

CabinetMaker wrote:A judge made them turn off the cannon. Made me responsible if a calf was killed by a coyote and only if it was killed by a coyote.
The cannon was not the first, or the last, attempt at harassing us off our land.


The judge made YOU responsible if a coyote killed one of their calfs?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby bball » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Even still, should need real evidence that a coyote did the damage and not a dog, or some other predator. Again, pics, game camera, eyewitness should be required, (or expert testimony from an animal forensics investigator :roll: )
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6829
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby M-5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:26 pm

So you got an injunction on them to stop using the cannon and they are be nice and filed a suit and are saying because you made them stop the calf died as the result . I would make them prove it or else pound sand.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7204
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Being a steer calf is a big plus, improper banding or cutting can kill a calf, and not giving the calf a tetanus shot can kill a calf, and not giving the calf a tetanus booster can kill a calf. Your not responsible for their cows or calves.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: I could use some advice about calves/cattle

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I don't think they can prove anything or make you pay. getting a judgment is one thing collecting is another, but I don't think they can even get a judgment. way to many thing could have killed the calf.
keep us posted on how it turns out.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest