Cattle yards working directions?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Cattle yards working directions?

Postby Putangitangi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 pm

We're about to build new yards. Most of the designs we've looked at have cattle being worked in an anti-clockwise direction. Is there any science about which way cows move best or is that a right-handed designer bias?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cattle yards working directions?

Postby dun » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Biased. Ours are clockwise because the area we have to work just lends itself to that. The new farm facilitys will probably be the same deal.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Mine go both ways, left out of the tub and right into the chute. They look for an escape more than anything else.
1 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:19 pm

The flow, and keeping them wanting to go around the next corner, is more important than the direction.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Putangitangi wrote:We're about to build new yards. Most of the designs we've looked at have cattle being worked in an anti-clockwise direction. Is there any science about which way cows move best or is that a right-handed designer bias?

I've always been told they 'want' to go back in the direction they just came from, even if it's parallel to the alleyway they just came down. It's why I made my load chute parallel to the alley where the sweep gate is and it has worked pretty good. Once they make the turn out of the sweep and into the load chute/alley, they all but run to the trailer.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm

greybeard wrote:
Putangitangi wrote:We're about to build new yards. Most of the designs we've looked at have cattle being worked in an anti-clockwise direction. Is there any science about which way cows move best or is that a right-handed designer bias?

I've always been told they 'want' to go back in the direction they just came from, even if it's parallel to the alleyway they just came down. It's why I made my load chute parallel to the alley where the sweep gate is and it has worked pretty good. Once they make the turn out of the sweep and into the load chute/alley, they all but run to the trailer.

Thats the principal of the Bud box. The cattle walk in to a solid wall, turn back the way they came and look for an exit which is your chute or alley. They work well if you have solid walls or at least tarped walls. Not so good when they are open.

I prefer a tub.
0 x

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:39 am

We have space, so have printed the plan both ways and it fits better counter-clockwise.

Thanks for your thoughts.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”