Water in the hole

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Water in the hole

Postby BigBear » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 am

I wanted to get some advice from you expert cattlemen. I have a barn with a standard water hydrant and I am replacing with a Mirafount lil spring automatic waterer. I dug down a foot below the water line and now the hole is filled with water right up to, but not over, the incoming water line. I am not sure if this is ground water or if I have a leak in my water line upstream. I am only about 60 feet from my creek in this particular situation. I guess that’s the first question.

Secondly, will the water effect anything? I am below the frost line in my area and have already made the decision to bring my electrical lines in half way up the heat tube (well above the water line and standing water) and silicone my conduit through the heat tube hole. What do you guys think?
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Water in the hole

Postby D2Cat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am

I'n not an "expert cattleman" but have installed a few automatic waterers. You probably have ground moisture seeping the the hole, and if it is it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're below frost line.

One thing I'd add. Why not just move the waterer a few feet away from your hydrant, and leave the hydrant? Then you'd still have access to water for other use.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 am

Dig another hole the same depth in the nearby vicinity and see if it fills with water to the same level and you'll likely have your answer as to whether the water is coming from..ground water or your water piping..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm

If you are on a well, shut off all of your hydrants and faucets, and watch your pressure gauge to see if it bleeds off.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:54 pm

D2Cat wrote:I'n not an "expert cattleman" but have installed a few automatic waterers. You probably have ground moisture seeping the the hole, and if it is it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're below frost line.

One thing I'd add. Why not just move the waterer a few feet away from your hydrant, and leave the hydrant? Then you'd still have access to water for other use.

That is a good point. I have another hydrant just outside the barn about 20’ away we use to clean off our boots so for this application I’m ok eliminating this one
0 x

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:If you are on a well, shut off all of your hydrants and faucets, and watch your pressure gauge to see if it bleeds off.

I can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

The other problem is God only knows where all they ran water lines. I have found them in other projects but they were abandoned. At least I can pressure check the whole system and see if my water in the hole goes down. We have the house on rural water and barns on the well. Thanks Fence
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”