Thinking outside the box

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Thinking outside the box

Postby TCRanch » Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am

So I have a 3 month old calf with a critical case of scours; hit him fast & furious. Tried my Trusti Tuber for the first time and it's awesome, makes drenching virtually foolproof. Highly recommend one (link below)! Anyway, tons of electrolytes but since Sustain calf boluses are on indefinite backorder I cut some Sustain cattle boluses into small enough pieces they would fit in a small balling gun. Nursemate ASAP is intended for newborn calves but has concentrated bioactives and it's a gel - can't hurt, right? Vitamin B Complex, ProBios, Terramycin boluses & Resflor Gold because he had a slight fever. Naturally he's been in the pasture with no shade and he was a downer so I shoved golf umbrellas in the utility holes in my Polaris & move it every 1-2 hours - plus it makes it easy to find him and even keeps his water bowl cool. After 3 days his poo is almost solid and this baby is a fighter so last evening with encouragement from his mama, I got his back end up and held him steady until he could take his first steps and nurse!! He's up & walking a bit, nursing on his own, I'm still drenching him and he's definitely not out of the woods but there is hope.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/tru ... feeder-kit

3 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Thinking outside the box

Postby Son of Butch » Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 pm

TCRanch wrote:Tried my Trusti Tuber for the first time and it's awesome, makes drenching virtually foolproof.
Highly recommend one (link below)!

Spendy, but has "TC"'s endorsement, so I'll 2nd it for any inexperienced or lacking in their confidence with tubing.

p.s.
I accidentally killed a calf once upon a time when tubing it when I was rushed and in a bad mood.
(Still bothers me to this day) and it did not improve my mood any when I saw it dead a few hours later.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Tried my Trusti Tuber for the first time and it's awesome, makes drenching virtually foolproof.
Highly recommend one (link below)!

Spendy, but has "TC"'s endorsement, so I'll 2nd it for any inexperienced or lacking in their confidence with tubing.

p.s.
I accidentally killed a calf once upon a time when tubing it when I was rushed and in a bad mood.
(Still bothers me to this day) and it did not improve my mood any when I saw it dead a few hours later.

When I bought mine it was still $69.99 but buy 1/get 1 so gave the other to my friend & she loves it - unfortunately for her has used it many times.
My husband drowned a preemie, also a little panicked & in a foul mood, still bothers him and hasn't tubed once since.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Your a very caring farmer TC.

Ken
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri May 18, 2018 6:15 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Your a very caring farmer TC.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. It helps to have awesome mamas. Not once did she get in my business while I was working her calf, just stood a couple feet away.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm

This is the most useful thread I have seen in weeks for me personally. I have wondered why there is not a better "mouse trap" for tubing calves. I am going to get one of these. Thank you.
2 x
Make America Happy Again

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri May 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Bright Raven wrote:This is the most useful thread I have seen in weeks for me personally. I have wondered why there is not a better "mouse trap" for tubing calves. I am going to get one of these. Thank you.

I've seen video demos online and was impressed. The first time I had to rope him, get him down & switch to a halter but just loosened the halter a bit and it wasn't a problem. After that he was so sick I just walked up to him & tubed away. This morning he was much more active and I came up from behind & straddled him, drenching from the other direction but still, easy peasy. Not that anyone ever wants to have to tube but I hope you like it as much as I do!
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm

Great job TC!! Persistent.

I hate tubing! Where I used to work, one of the guys drowned a couple of calves, so I've always been wary and gone slow.
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Ummm how is that tube really any different to use?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:59 am

a guy told me to give this to scouring calves and I haven't lost one since.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... B0D0204AE5
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

ez14. wrote:Ummm how is that tube really any different to use?

The actual tube is softer, more flexible. The mouthpiece keeps it in place; he would kind of latch on to the inside part of the mouthpiece and it was more secure. There is a knob on the tube so you can adjust the length/how far down you want the tube to enter the esophagus (depending on the size of the calf). Once in place the fluid (electrolytes, colostrum, replacer) just flows from the bottle - no awkward squeezing and the handle makes it easy to hold. I have a "standard" drench bottle/tube and one with a plastic bag and this is by far easier - at least for me.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat May 19, 2018 1:41 pm

ddd75 wrote:a guy told me to give this to scouring calves and I haven't lost one since.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. So you use it only as a treatment when they have scours instead of preventative at birth?
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat May 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Well done! Observation and persistence paid off.

I just use a plastic bottle with a stainless steel tube. Have drowned the odd one, usually the ones that likely weren't going to make it anyway but they still hurt.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:08 pm

TCRanch wrote:
ddd75 wrote:a guy told me to give this to scouring calves and I haven't lost one since.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. So you use it only as a treatment when they have scours instead of preventative at birth?

it says you can use it for both on the label.

I give it to bottle babies right away. the other ones milking mom I don't give any. The label says to give it in crazy amounts like 40ml.. I always on give 10-12 ml. I had one down 2 days ago and not doing good.. moved the herd and he stayed put just not feeling good.. he stunk / scouring.. I threw him in the back of the UTV and took him to the house, gave him that, a bolus, and a scour vac and took him out to momma.. he was up running around fine the next day no scours.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm

He's now generally either with the herd or right on the fringe, even gave a little buck after he finished nursing this morning! Trusti Tuber is now sanitized & back in the pantry :). Still keeping a very close eye on him but he's lost the love after all the poking/prodding & thinks I'm Satan so hopefully he doesn't relapse.
2 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”