Low $ Upgrading from 4 to 3 strand fences ?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Low $ Upgrading from 4 to 3 strand fences ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:50 pm

I have some 40 year old 4 strand barbed fences that have been patched too many times. One of my latest approaches is to roll up the two worst barbed strands, replace a few posts, add a smooth electric strand in the middle to keep the cattle off it, and then re stretch the top and bottom barbed wires. Have you had success with a fence like this?

Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Low $ Upgrading from 4 to 3 strand fences ?

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:25 pm

As long as it never meets a deer, it will work. Otherwise you will spend countless hours unwrapping dead shorts to the barbed wire. Using offset insulators helps a bit. But in general, best not to try and mix barbed and electric.
cor durum laborem

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:30 pm

I found my biggest problem with it is the bracing on the anchors wants to short out to my irrigation pipe or to the other 4 strands...
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by fence_it » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:05 pm

My advice with fence is always to have something that's good enough for you to sleep at night. That being said there are plenty of 3 strand fences holding cattle in. I would not mixed barbed and electric. I would recommend taking all the old wire down, and assuming your posts and braces are still good, put up minimum 4 new strands of barb or HT electric. If your just looking for something temporary you could try just adding a strand or two of electric like your doing. Some of the guys who lease pastures around here with old decrepit fences will actually put out fiberglass rods with a couple strands of polywire to keep pressure off the old fence. It seems to work okay.

A couple weeks ago we "upgraded" a 5 strand barb fence that was just not working for a ladies sheep. While not that old, the principle is the same. We just stretched 949-6 fixed knot right over the top of the barb. No more sheep getting out and relatively inexpensive compared to putting in a whole new fence. Plus it is a true physical barrier, not a pain barrier like an electric smooth wire fence would be. A new fence would just not work with her budget. So this is what we came up with.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 pm

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, and I'm not a master fence builder, I will patch on one a little here and there. But, all of a sudden I say, "what the he!! are you doing?" , and I just rip it out, and build it right.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 am

jehosofat wrote:I'm not the smartest guy in the world, and I'm not a master fence builder, I will patch on one a little here and there. But, all of a sudden I say, "what the he!! are you doing?" , and I just rip it out, and build it right.

time to fire up the dozer and get er' done right.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:17 am

jehosofat wrote:I'm not the smartest guy in the world, and I'm not a master fence builder, I will patch on one a little here and there. But, all of a sudden I say, "what the he!! are you doing?" , and I just rip it out, and build it right.

I think we have a winner!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:36 pm

Fence can only be patched for so long then it’s time to replace. Very few people can afford to build all new at once so just come up with a plan to build a couple thousand feet a year. On really old fence that you just can’t fix right you can always run a roll of fixed knot over it. This will work until the fence can be replaced and you can reuse the sections on fixed knot pretty easy.