Side stepping the Dealers

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Side stepping the Dealers

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:16 pm

I've got a guy for that.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:41 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I've got a guy for that.

Have your guy call my guy, you and I can have lunch.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:06 pm

M-5 wrote:because most grew up with throw away and buy new mentality. I have always been too POOR to do that I had to fix what was broke to get the job finished. I had a belt break on the cloths drier a few weeks back. how many folks would have just bought a new one instead of buying an 8 dollar belt and taking 30min to put it on. Its the MALE Figures fault raising these kids and not teaching them critical thinking and how to fix things.

You made my day Dash. I thought I was the only tightwad left that worked on a dryer. I remember growing up when I would have to help my father work on our washing machines and dryers when they broke. I would say “why don’t you just get another one this one is wore out”. But hed patch it back together. When I got grown and moved out I bought a brand new Roper dryer for $250. It was the cheapest one I could find. My plan was that if it ever broke down I was gonna chunk it and go get a new one. Never had a minutes trouble for 17 years. Then it quit. Even though now I could have easily went and got a new one, for some reason I couldn’t help but tear it apart to make sure I couldn’t fix it, even though I didn’t want to. Opened her up, found a broke belt, and $17 later she fired up and is still going strong. That was 2 years ago. I agree that how you are raised plays a major role in your adult life and your decisions as well.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 pm

I have an old NH chain baler with lots of bent tubes between the chains, I have been progressively replacing them by cutting off the ends and welding new tube in between, made up a simple jig and they work well, very rarely get a broken shear bolt now. Just could not afford replacements and completely not viable going to the dealer for new ones.

Ken
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:32 pm

HDRider wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I've got a guy for that.

Have your guy call my guy, you and I can have lunch.

Deal!
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 am

M-5 wrote:because most grew up with throw away and buy new mentality. I have always been too POOR to do that I had to fix what was broke to get the job finished. I had a belt break on the cloths drier a few weeks back. how many folks would have just bought a new one instead of buying an 8 dollar belt and taking 30min to put it on. Its the MALE Figures fault raising these kids and not teaching them critical thinking and how to fix things.

I'm gonna have to disagree. Just the other day I found a loose screw on one of my fishing reels. After using the only screwdriver I had with me. Not quite the right size. I boogered up the head of the screw. It took some explaing to get the wife to understand. Since the screw could not be torqued to the proper tightness due to the damaged head. And a oem screw was not available. We had obvious saftey issues with this piece of equipment. And sometimes the grandchildren use it. . :shock: ...the only responsible thing to do was to replace it with a brand new one......... :hat:

SAFETY FIRST
SAVE THE CHILDREN...
3 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 am

callmefence wrote:

I'm gonna have to disagree. Just the other day I found a loose screw on one of my fishing reels. After using the only screwdriver I had with me. Not quite the right size. I boogered up the head of the screw. It took some explaing to get the wife to understand. Since the screw could not be torqued to the proper tightness due to the damaged head. And a oem screw was not available. We had obvious saftey issues with this piece of equipment. And sometimes the grandchildren use it. . :shock: ...the only responsible thing to do was to replace it with a brand new one......... :hat:

SAFETY FIRST
SAVE THE CHILDREN...

I don't know what to think about a fellow that don't carry a multi tool everyday especially when fishing
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 am

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:

SAFETY FIRST
SAVE THE CHILDREN...

I don't know what to think about a fellow that don't carry a multi tool everyday especially when fishing

I didn't say I was fishin. I said I found a loose screw...I was at church.
0 x

David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am

callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:

SAFETY FIRST
SAVE THE CHILDREN...

Loose screw is a common problem , Right??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Loose screw is a common problem , Right??

Not on my brand new reel.
1 x

David Crockett

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:41 pm

jehosofat wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
IDK if that fully explains it. I know a lot of poor people who cannot change a tire. They sit in squalor before they will repair their washer. On the other hand, I have a friend who is 80 and has over a million setting in cash and he still fixes enerything.

No, you know a lot of poor people who WON'T change a tire.

A couple days ago I saw a guy walking down the road. It is a long ways to anything either way so I hopped on my quad and ran out to see if he needed help. Turns out he is camping up the canyon a couple miles and had a flat tire. No cell service so he was walking out to where his phone would work to call triple A to come change his tire. Walk 6 or 7 miles to call someone to change a tire? Wouldn't it be easier to just change the tire? I gave him a ride out to where the phone worked. Offered to take him back to his camp after his call. He turned me down, I didn't argue. Just ran my quad back home, shaking my head all the way.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Dave wrote:
jehosofat wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
IDK if that fully explains it. I know a lot of poor people who cannot change a tire. They sit in squalor before they will repair their washer. On the other hand, I have a friend who is 80 and has over a million setting in cash and he still fixes enerything.

No, you know a lot of poor people who WON'T change a tire.

A couple days ago I saw a guy walking down the road. It is a long ways to anything either way so I hopped on my quad and ran out to see if he needed help. Turns out he is camping up the canyon a couple miles and had a flat tire. No cell service so he was walking out to where his phone would work to call triple A to come change his tire. Walk 6 or 7 miles to call someone to change a tire? Wouldn't it be easier to just change the tire? I gave him a ride out to where the phone worked. Offered to take him back to his camp after his call. He turned me down, I didn't argue. Just ran my quad back home, shaking my head all the way.

Well, you can't exactly call someone that would walk 12-14 miles round trip lazy. More like plain hardheaded.
(I gotta admit, I kinda looked forward to finally getting so old that if I had a flat on the interstate, some young fella would stop have some mercy and stop & change it for me, but now that I'm here, my pride won't let 'em do it)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Don't kid yourself, GB. They ain't many around that will stop.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:41 pm

All bars made and put in .
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:13 pm

M-5 wrote:All bars made and put in .

And still got a fat wallet. Win/win. Nice.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”