Red Brand HT Barb

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: way out west

Red Brand HT Barb

Postby fence_it » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Has anybody seen/used the new 15.5 gauge high tensile barb from Red Brand? Looking for some user reviews before we try it.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm

I just stretched some along side ours, and goucho. It was a distant third. It has the qualities that the first gen goucho was hated for. Strands didn't stretch anywhere close to even, but that's been RB's calling card for a few years. Goucho stretched just like it has as long as I've been around it, which isn't terrible. Best thing you can do with any product, in my opinion, is buy a roll and try it. Make every attempt to destroy it, and see what happens. That's why me and Fence get along as well as we do about 20% of the time....We both like to see if we can break it.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 818
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm
Location: West Central Highlands of Va

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I don't know if it has improved but the last I used was in the mid-80s.Seemed like the barbs would rust or at least discolor before it had been up only a few years.With Gaucho,it all seems to oxidize about the same.Gaucho I put up then still has a grey color on it.
Maybe they have improved it.The coop where I buy wire doesn't carry it.The only Red Brand barberd they have is Class I galvanized "soft" wire.Hi tensile is Gaucho or Sta Tuff
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:49 pm

We fenced about 8 acres with it last year and it was a huge mistake. Seems you just can’t get it tight enough.

We used come alongs and a golden road to stretch when it was installed. Just a year later and it isn’t good and tight anywhere.

I’m not sure what to recommend but I would stay away from red brand. I thought I was getting premium barbed wire since I was paying a premium price.

I’m pretty sure at the time you could buy 2 rolls of Goucho for what I gave for one roll of the red brand.
1 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: way out west

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby fence_it » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:We fenced about 8 acres with it last year and it was a huge mistake. Seems you just can’t get it tight enough.

We used come alongs and a golden road to stretch when it was installed. Just a year later and it isn’t good and tight anywhere.

I’m not sure what to recommend but I would stay away from red brand. I thought I was getting premium barbed wire since I was paying a premium price.

I’m pretty sure at the time you could buy 2 rolls of Goucho for what I gave for one roll of the red brand.


That was high tensile barb? Or the "ruthless" 12.5ga? The HT should be pretty price competitive with gaucho.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: way out west

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby fence_it » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm

High tensile barb is nowhere to be found where I live, only low carbon H&W and Red Brand. Part of the reason I despise barb so much. I seen some of this Red Brand high tensile barb in Missouri and figured the local farm stores back home should be able to get it easy enough, since Red Brand is about all they will sell. The quality wire like Stay Tuff/Tornado they won't even consider trying to sell. We've tried. It's a shame.

Figured this barb would be worth a try, seeing as how its high tensile and class 3.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:13 pm

fence_it wrote:
kentuckyguy wrote:We fenced about 8 acres with it last year and it was a huge mistake. Seems you just can’t get it tight enough.

We used come alongs and a golden road to stretch when it was installed. Just a year later and it isn’t good and tight anywhere.

I’m not sure what to recommend but I would stay away from red brand. I thought I was getting premium barbed wire since I was paying a premium price.

I’m pretty sure at the time you could buy 2 rolls of Goucho for what I gave for one roll of the red brand.


That was high tensile barb? Or the "ruthless" 12.5ga? The HT should be pretty price competitive with gaucho.



It may have been the ruthless. It’s really heavy wire. I think it was $65 roll
1 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16691
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Red Brand Ruthless retails around $70 (tax not incl) for 1/4 mile roll and weighs 83lbs according to Rural King. It's not HT.
https://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-80- ... auge-70481

Most US brand HT 15.5 ga barb wire weighs around 50lbs/roll, and 14 ga around $65/roll.

This must be some superdooper really good stuff here:
:roll: ;-)
It's 'on sale' right now....$265.00/ roll.
https://www.essentialhardware.com/keyst ... 26091.html
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:56 pm

fence_it wrote:High tensile barb is nowhere to be found where I live, only low carbon H&W and Red Brand. Part of the reason I despise barb so much. I seen some of this Red Brand high tensile barb in Missouri and figured the local farm stores back home should be able to get it easy enough, since Red Brand is about all they will sell. The quality wire like Stay Tuff/Tornado they won't even consider trying to sell. We've tried. It's a shame.

Figured this barb would be worth a try, seeing as how its high tensile and class 3.



They, or you, could get to the best barbed wire(and net wire) just as easy. We put it on boats every day. It's night and day diffrence. Want me to send you a roll to prove it?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 pm

greybeard wrote:Red Brand Ruthless retails around $70 (tax not incl) for 1/4 mile roll and weighs 83lbs according to Rural King. It's not HT.
https://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-80- ... auge-70481

Most US brand HT 15.5 ga barb wire weighs around 50lbs/roll, and 14 ga around $65/roll.

This must be some superdooper really good stuff here:
:roll: ;-)
It's 'on sale' right now....$265.00/ roll.
https://www.essentialhardware.com/keyst ... 26091.html


What's up with comparing 15.5 gauge weight to 14 gauge cost? I'm confused.
Not much more than what they want for that high dollar stuff, I can send ya a mile of good 14 gauge. Crazy stuff right there.
Last edited by Farm Fence Solutions on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16691
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Because kentuckyguy said:

It may have been the ruthless. It’s really heavy wire. I think it was $65 roll


He didn't know what it was, just that it was "really heavy".
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1774
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm

greybeard wrote:Because kentuckyguy said:

It may have been the ruthless. It’s really heavy wire. I think it was $65 roll


He didn't know what it was, just that it was "really heavy".


Makes more sense, but where can a guy buy $65 14 gauge these days? Is it holdover 2 point?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4654
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Red Brand HT Barb

Postby callmefence » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:Red Brand Ruthless retails around $70 (tax not incl) for 1/4 mile roll and weighs 83lbs according to Rural King. It's not HT.
https://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-80- ... auge-70481

Most US brand HT 15.5 ga barb wire weighs around 50lbs/roll, and 14 ga around $65/roll.

This must be some superdooper really good stuff here:
:roll: ;-)
It's 'on sale' right now....$265.00/ roll.
https://www.essentialhardware.com/keyst ... 26091.html


What's up with comparing 15.5 gauge weight to 14 gauge cost? I'm confused.
Not much more than what they want for that high dollar stuff, I can send ya a mile of good 14 gauge. Crazy stuff right there.


While you're in a giving mood.
I would seriously like a couple of those counterfeit display mile rolls. He// I'll pay for em when I get round to it. ........
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests