Loading Individual Cattle

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Loading Individual Cattle

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 pm

I loaded out a bull today. 11 months old but a big fellow. Easily 1000 pounds. I haltered him and kept two other bulls with him until the trailer came.

Young stock that have never been on a trailer usually balk at the point of jumping on the trailer. It can be a test of wills when you are alone.

Today, I led the bull on halter, when he balked at the point of jumping in, I had the buyer walk in behind him. It took some patience but he jumped in.

Does anyone have any practices to make it go smooth? I am looking for a discussion of what other folks do.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Loading Individual Cattle

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:32 pm

I run them up the chute and if they balk I encourage them with a hot shot.

But then again my operation is much different than yours. Sounds to me like it went pretty smooth for you. One tip you probably know is that cattle don’t particularly like to step up. The more even the transition from ground to trailer is should help a little.
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:35 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I run them up the chute and if they balk I encourage them with a hot shot.

But then again my operation is much different than yours. Sounds to me like it went pretty smooth for you. One tip you probably know is that cattle don’t particularly like to step up. The more even the transition from ground to trailer is should help a little.

Thanks Mike. He did well. I have a hot shot. I use it on some of my lazy cows when they stop in the alley and will not go into the chute. I am a little nervous using it loading because I don't want to make them go goofy.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I throw a bunch of cubes in the trailer and usually the olé bull will walk right in.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I run them up the chute and if they balk I encourage them with a hot shot.

Thanks Mike. He did well. I have a hot shot. I use it on some of my lazy cows when they stop in the alley and will not go into the chute. I am a little nervous using it loading because I don't want to make them go goofy.

Oh yeah. Me too. I use it as a last resort. Especially when I’m working my cows. But when I’m putting them on the wagon, I use it a lot. Some may disagree with me but I personally think the quickest way to get hurt fooling with cattle is when you’re loading them. Especially when you’re loading the back cut. A trailer confines you. You better move quick and think quicker.

But loading a haltered bovine generally doesn’t warrant the use of a hot shot. Time and patience are probably better alternatives.

One more think I’ve used, especially with sick, injured, or similar cattle is to get them to the back of the trailer and run a rope or ratchet strap, tied to the trailer on one end and looped around the bars/slats on the other end, around behind them and keep applying pressure to the rear end. Generally works pretty good, especially if you’re trying to keep them calm.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I throw a bunch of cubes in the trailer and usually the olé bull will walk right in.

Have used this method as well in the middle of a pasture. It worked and I was actually quite surprised that it did.
0 x

Mat Man
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Mat Man » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:56 pm

I own a hot shot but my cattle have never seen it
2 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Cur dogs and stout ponies.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Oh yeah. Me too. I use it as a last resort. Especially when I’m working my cows. But when I’m putting them on the wagon, I use it a lot. Some may disagree with me but I personally think the quickest way to get hurt fooling with cattle is when you’re loading them. Especially when you’re loading the back cut. A trailer confines you. You better move quick and think quicker.

But loading a haltered bovine generally doesn’t warrant the use of a hot shot. Time and patience are probably better alternatives.

One more think I’ve used, especially with sick, injured, or similar cattle is to get them to the back of the trailer and run a rope or ratchet strap, tied to the trailer on one end and looped around the bars/slats on the other end, around behind them and keep applying pressure to the rear end. Generally works pretty good, especially if you’re trying to keep them calm.

I agree. A 1000 pound bull calf could kill you in a minute. I really get nervous when I load out cattle.
0 x
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:46 am

Quit petting them and they will load. Liberal use of hot shot.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:26 am

stand there with the trailer open. sometimes it'll take 5 minutes.

don't make a move or sound. they'll look around for a while.. finally they'll step in ..

works good not doing anything, just stand behind a lil ways so they know they can't go back.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:30 am

ddd75 wrote:stand there with the trailer open. sometimes it'll take 5 minutes.

don't make a move or sound. they'll look around for a while.. finally they'll step in ..

works good not doing anything, just stand behind a lil ways so they know they can't go back.

Best suggestion so far. That has worked for me better than anything to this point. I was fishing to see if anyone had some magic dust I could get.
0 x
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ddd75 wrote:stand there with the trailer open. sometimes it'll take 5 minutes.

Best suggestion so far. That has worked for me better than anything to this point. I was fishing to see if anyone had some magic dust I could get.

i was trained by hard ones in the holler.. :cowboy:
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am

I agree with ddd, curiosity does tend to get the best of them.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 am

I load on3 the same way I load a trailer full. Down the chute. I guess when the get to the trailer they see a larger space than the one they are in and readily step up into it. I don’t know, just hasn’t been much of a problem.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”