What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 am

Well...I wasn't gonna post this because I am embarrassed by the incident. But I am new to cattle. I don't have a lot of land so I went with Dexter cattle to be able to have more animals to work with. Anyway, I bought a manual headgate and mounted it to (2) 4x4 posts sunk into the ground and cemented in. I then set up corral panels and made a nice corral for the cows when I needed to work them. Anyway, last nite was the first usage and the first cow (500lb heifer) went down the chute and into the headgate. Great...no worries...this is easy. Now a vaccination and wormer shot and I'll move onto the next one. Well...not so fast my friend...she got a little agitated following the vaccination. So agitated she actually snapped the 4x4 posts off at the ground and ran off with the headgate around her neck! I finally got caught up with her and carefully (if that is possible) got the gate off her head. I guess I should have gone with 6x6 posts...live and learn I guess. Looking back today I am still embarrassed, but have learned a valuable lesson...dang cattle, even smaller ones are strong...and everything I build now will be hurricane proof strong. :oops:
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:51 am

Don’t be embarrassed, you are not the first and won't be the last. No matter how much a person learns before starting with livestock there are going to be things that you have to learn from experience

6x6 minimum and in the ground at least 4 ft. I place my gate post and attach 2x6 boards to it on both sides with 6 inch spacing between the boards then I place post on the outside of shute at 3’ and 5’ so I can post the calves or cows.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks M5!!!
0 x

denvermartinfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby denvermartinfarms » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 am

Don't feel bad, that's always been a fear of mine, I have steel pipe corrals but I have still worried some about the bolts that hold the head gate breaking, when a 2000lb bull runs up in it.
0 x
This world is not my home i'm just passing through

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Our neighbour had an old bull in the squeeze, and I think he was getting branded, and the instant that hot iron touched him, the bull pretty much just inhaled a deep breath, and bend the heck out of the whole works. Later, that bull took a run at his old man (who was farm-wise), and the old man put a manure fork through the bull's nose and into the ground (I'd have liked to see that) Apparently the bull smartened up after that.

Last night I had one of my heiferettes out for a little early grazing on the halter, and just about forgot about her when I went to bed. So I go out, and put her back in the pen with her mother and 3 week old sister... the two of them run up to each other, butt heads and play a bit, then the younger sister goes and starts to nurse on the heifferette, and she just stood there as if it was her calf (I swear cattle do recognize family).

Some of you may remember my big steer Joules, who I sold to a friend of mine in december (about 1500 lbs)... well, he is about 2 weeks away from landing in the freezer, but this same fellow also bought Joule's intact young brother (Hector, ~700 lbs). So last weekend he got Hector home, and he's semi halterbroke (Can be handled, but doesn't lead very well), and he haltered him up and led him out of the trailer, past the piggies and the sheep (that needed close inspection), and was about to bring him into a pole barn, when down in the field Joules gives out a great big bellow, Hector perks his ears, and drags Trent (6'3", 250 lbs) behind him at full speed to go see his brother. So the idea of the barn was scratched, and the two are together now.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

glacierridge
GURU
GURU

Postby glacierridge » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:02 pm

dun wrote:Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible

That's a pretty good one. Lol
0 x
As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:45 pm

glacierridge wrote:
dun wrote:Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible

That's a pretty good one. Lol

The vet happened to be by to BS at the time, thought he was going to wet himself laughing at it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

glacierridge
GURU
GURU

Postby glacierridge » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29 am

Lmao, I probably would have!
0 x
As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Grandpa
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Grandpa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Great story, dun. Can't stop laughing picturing this happening. :lol:
0 x
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cannot always depend on their accuracy." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 pm

I saw a cow in my neighbors place last week and told my son to find the hole and get her back in. He found it and fixed it that day. Yesterday morning I saw her over there again so I jump in the jeep and starting looking for a hole. I get to the north end of the fences and get a phone call from work and talk maybe 5 Minutes start checking again and she’s not in there and I found no hole except about 2 ft off the ground just big enough for a dong to go thru. I go and check the rest of the cows and there she is acting like nothing has happened. I go about my day and late yesterday afternoon I see her out there again. I drive back there and make sure I keep an eye on her to see where she is getting out. She goes to the hole I found earlier (because I didn’t fix it at the time ) and gets down on her front knees and crawls thru the hole. She weighs around 1200lbs and is heavy bred . I’ve seen them squeeze under fence but never crawl.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

cfry
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cfry » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

I just got back in from rounding up five cows from the woods joining our property. It seems they got into the creek and waded under the fence. Then they couldn't figure how to get back across. We ended up taking part of the fence down to let them back across. I've been browsing a previous thread about constructing a water gap in the fence. Looks like I've got a project this weekend! Luckily, I enjoy being outside and doing the work. Great stories, everyone.
0 x
"Well that's as handy as a pocket on a shirt."

herefordhandler16
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby herefordhandler16 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:09 pm

My favorite stunt in the show lot-

For the longest time my dad one of those hideous huge straw beach hats from walmart, I hated it ad to did my mom. So of course he wore it everywhere.

One day after clipping heifers he happened to forget his hat hanging on a fence post, later that night we came back to feed and my favorite heifer prances on out of the barn happy as can be with a half eaten hat hanging from her mouth.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri May 31, 2013 10:34 pm

I released the bull with the cows last saturday, and one of my fencebuster cows was one of the first to be bred... she is the type who'll push on the fence until the posts bust, and she's been getting worse, and teaching the others how to do it... so the cows have been on the road right-of-way, and they came up and all laid down by our main gate... I grabbed a halter rope and threw a loop over the head of her calf when she was sleeping, she jumps up, and tears off... I kinda guide her toward the gate, she lets out a scream... mom come running, I open the gate and into the corral they go. She's been there a bit over a day now and she's absolutely furious, she can't understand how she was eating grass yesterday, and is stuck eating hay again... there's a lapse in her memory.

Next in line is her older daughter, who is another fencebuster... she's due to be in heat in 6 days, so the bull will have his day with her, and then she's coming back in too to keep her mother company... If either of them aren't bred, they're off to the sale barn in the fall, and if they are, I'll consider keeping them another year... it is kinda handy to have a couple in the corral to eat the weeds.

Sucks to be them though
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:06 pm

The cow I put back into the corral is still furious.. she doesn't care about her calf, all she does all day is rub on her feeder and make a racket with her one horn nubbin clattering on the feeder (an old tractor rim with no center).
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”