A Newbie with a question

Let us know who you are.
Chief
Beginner
Beginner

A Newbie with a question

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:31 am

Hello I am in my early sixties and have my first grandson (Jag) by my daughter and he is fixing to turn 6 months old.
My wife's dad (my grandsons great grandfather) has been raising mixed breed cattle since the early 70's and he as well as my wife, my daughter, her husband, and I want to give Jag the opportunity to be a cattleman on our 200 acre homeplace. We realize he has a mind of his own and may have zero interest in cattle. That being said we want to changeover the existing herd to registered stock after my wife inherites the homeplace.
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Re: A Newbie with a question

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am

:welcome: to the boards Chief! Not really sure what your question is??
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

poorfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby poorfarmer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 am

If nothing else a nice hobby to keep you busy through your retirement. Good Luck and welcome to the board.
0 x

Chief
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Chief wrote:Hello I am in my early sixties and have my first grandson (Jag) by my daughter and he is fixing to turn 6 months old.
My wife's dad (my grandsons great grandfather) has been raising mixed breed cattle since the early 70's and he as well as my wife, my daughter, her husband, and I want to give Jag the opportunity to be a cattleman on our 200 acre homeplace. We realize he has a mind of his own and may have zero interest in cattle. That being said we want to changeover the existing herd to registered stock after my wife inherites the homeplace.

Well excuse me folks, when I was typing on my phone I put my finger on the text and it went and submitted. I have been too busy until now to check on it.
Anyhow after my wifes dad passes we may sell the mixed breeds and buy registered cattle with good blood.I'm new to the terminology and probably should say good EPD's. My question is what breed to go with. We will likely buy for the bulk of the herd hiefers with the meat market in mind. Plus some exceptional hiefers to AI with an exceptional bull with providing outstanding bulls in our area. We are in Ms.
I realize a lot of folks prefer different breeds and would like to hear what they prefer and just a short note as to why they prefer them.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
0 x

Chief
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks Guru and Cowhand!
0 x

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Since you are from MS go next door to AL and check out the South Polls at Bent Tree Farm. They are bred to thrive in Dixie Climate. Selected for tenderness on grass diet. Otherwise raise Red Angus.
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”