Watering cattle in the winter

Let us know who you are.
Ky Eli
Beginner
Beginner

Watering cattle in the winter

Postby Ky Eli » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello all, first post here on the forum. I'm wondering what you guys do to water your cattle in the winter. I am leasing a ten acre field for the next few years about 30 minutes away from my farm with Scottish highlands here in the hills; and plan to put black baldie cattle on it. I will be going the rotational grazing route with ten seperate paddocks. The plot is rectangular so there is no intricate fence design on it. I have put up a 5 strand high tensile electric fence around the property. ANYWAYS.... I work 4-6 days a week doing highway construction 10-12 hours a day 1.5 hr away from home one way. The soil on the land is excellent and I am not concerned with a lack of forage whatsoever, there is no ponds, creeks or streams on the land so my biggest concern is what do some of you guys on the forum do in the winter about freezing water troughs? I do not want to go to the farm every morning and evening and break ice after work. I plan on only being over there 2-3 times a week if at all possible (obviously more around calving time etc) thanks for your replies and hopefully someone will have some good advice. Thanks - Eli
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Watering cattle in the winter

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Submersible tank heater.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

inyati13
GURU
GURU

Postby inyati13 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:09 pm

What are the energy sources available. I use an electric submersible tank heater in one paddock. Plugs to electric at the shop. Other water is a heated Richie two basin system with public water and electric underground. Back of farm has a flowing Creek. Comment: water is vital, all systems fail. Don't assume you can leave them for long without a visit to check water system is functioning. Your post refers to minimal visits. That will carry some risk.
0 x
A man's home is his Castle, A man's farm is his Kingdom. Prince Inyati.
Prince of Bright Raven Farm

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Anyone ever use 12 volt heaters? If so, what brand?
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”