Bull Calf

Let us know who you are.
CKama
Beginner
Beginner

Bull Calf

Postby CKama » Sun May 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi I'm new but need some input, I have a 2 month old bottle fed bull calf that has developed a swollen front knee, his navel is fine, there's no fever in his leg, he sucks his bottles, eats his baby beef pellets, grazes some, I have recently put him on Resflor gold, he walks on it and tries to play some. Does anyone know if Resflor gold is good for swollen joint. ? Can't figure out what it could be. Any input would be appreciated.
0 x

CKama
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Bull Calf

Postby CKama » Tue May 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Thank you, he's better now but I have a month old heifer who didn't get the proper amount of collusium, she's weak, grazes but will only suck 2qtrs of milk in a day, she's orphaned too, her navel is dry but she has swelling around it, no fever. Will Resflor gold work for this?
0 x

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:46 am

I'm new to the business, but isn't there a collostrum substitute available?
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:15 am

City Guy wrote:I'm new to the business, but isn't there a collostrum substitute available?

Colostrum replacer should be used as soon as possible (within 12 hrs max) if you are unsure or know the calf did not receive colostrum. Colostrum supplement is generally if you're questioning the quality of the dams colostrum. A lot of people milk out a cow's colostrum if she looses her calf or has an abundance & freeze it for future use.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:48 am

CKama wrote:Thank you, he's better now but I have a month old heifer who didn't get the proper amount of collusium, she's weak, grazes but will only suck 2qtrs of milk in a day, she's orphaned too, her navel is dry but she has swelling around it, no fever. Will Resflor gold work for this?

Take the calf to the vet. Getting little or no colostrum is not going to make a calf weak.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

CKama
Beginner
Beginner

my 4 mo old heifer

Postby CKama » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 am

She is a bottle baby, got her over navel ill, she is the size of a mo old, eats good but real small. Have had her to 2 vets, they said its due to no collussium, I have her on electrolytes and Maxi-B 1000. She's just weak, no play.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Using nuflor/resflor (same product- just different manufacturers) and other heavyweight drugs is a waste of money
if a calf is not running a temp. In addition you probably are creating drug resistant bugs on your farm using them when not needed and will be disappointed when you actually need them and then they don't work.

I've never had luck with any antibiotic knocking out joint problems.
I'd keep her on a very high quality milk replacer and hope she comes along. The good news is she's made it so far.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”