Wild cow with huge teats & udder

Let us know who you are.
Hereford2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Wild cow with huge teats & udder

Postby Hereford2 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:44 am

My friend has a cow with huge udder & teats. The calf cant nurse they are so huge. I was wondering how long the cow can be like this before it dies or gets real sick? She is out of town. Im bottle feeding the calf
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: Wild cow with huge teats & udder

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu May 12, 2016 12:14 pm

Before the cow dies or gets sick? it won't.. Or shouldn't anyways. It will just be as if the calf died, or was weaned off. Milk production will cease and she'll dry up/ bag will subside.

If the calf is healthy I would let it try and suck, it will work them smaller if it gets onto them. Otherwise bottle feeding the calf will ruin it - it won't try and nurse the cow.

Tell your friend to either sell the cow or deal with it themselves. I would never expect someone to deal with a wild, bad udder'd cow at calving time.
0 x

Hereford2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hereford2 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:14 pm

The 3 of the teats are the size of coke bottles/ the other is slightly smaller No way the calf can nurse. The calf got super skinny. They didnt ask me to deal with it. They are out of town. I offered. Cant stand to see a calf going hungry. They will take care of the cow vet ect. When they get back. I just wanted to know if the cow was going to be ok for a few days......
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu May 12, 2016 1:15 pm

Sorry you're stuck in a bad situation. I wouldn't worry about the cow. Sounds like it's too dangerous to try to milk her. She will dry up on her own in a few weeks if the calf isn't able to nurse her. I would keep a close eye on the calf since it didn't get any colostrum it sounds like. Not having that passive immunity from colostrum can make them a lot more susceptible to sickness and infections.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 pm

I've seen calves take a bottle and still try and suck. Just keep the calf hungry and it might start sucking. After a few days a calf can handle a large teat.
And the cow will be fine, maybe try and pen the cow and calf together.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Hereford2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hereford2 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. I dont feel like im stuck. I made the choice to help the calf.....
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu May 12, 2016 2:34 pm

good on you for trying to help....

sounds like the owners need to divest themselves of a cow herd ...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”