never owned a cow

Let us know who you are.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Re: never owned a cow

Postby HDRider » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:pdfangus, that was a well thought out and written response.

Sure 'nuff..
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 am

pdfangus: AMEN to all you wrote. Are you a disciple of Larry Leonhardt?
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

City Guy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby City Guy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 am

pdfangus; you stated that the best replacements usually come from the middle third of the herd. I have heard others ay the same thing. Do you have an explanation for it? Seth Leachman and others say that nature tends to breed to the middle anyway so might as well start there! That kinda makes sense, but it kinda doesn't. Any comment?
0 x
Play the music, not the notes; read the story, not the words.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:42 pm

I don't know that I can explain it.

and there is always the exception to the rule.

I have some theories....one is that a top growing heifer calf that has all the milk she wants and all the groceries she needs may in fact lay down that fat layer in her udder that impedes udder performance in the future. so those top growing heifers would not milk as well as their middle of the herd peers.

another is that the extremes are never quite as well adapted to the environment...they give a burst of superior performance but then it proves to difficult to maintain...

our natural tendency and 50 years of university teaching say we need to improve the environment....add feed, more fertilizer, better hay, more chemicals, better genetics, more minerals, better minerals, etc...

but two things have occurred to me over the last few decades....university research is not necessarily what it was a generation ago...universities are not what they were a generation ago....they are more about the business of education than the education and a lot of research is sponsored today.

and increases in production are not necessarily highly correlated to increases in sustainability....

like everyone else I like to keep my best heifers....but more years than not the best calf from the heifer class will not be from the top growth rate heifers.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”