I suppose it's time

Let us know who you are.
Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

I suppose it's time

Postby Cucumber35 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 pm

I guess after lurking through here quite often (all the time if you ask my girlfriend) I should finally join and say hi. Most importantly want to say thanks to everyone for all the good information available. Over the past six months or so I've pretty well taken over the day to day of my grandfather's small cow-calf operation. He will be 82 next month and his age and all that comes with it has finally slowed him down enough to cause him to need more than just occasional help. I've spent a lot of my 30 years helping out as much as possible when life allows but it has now become another full time responsibility in addition to my own contracting business although it is something I enjoy doing. He is finally ready to retire as a veterinarian for the past 50 years or so, both large and small animal practice for a large portion and staying strictly small animal the past 15 years or so (other than his own cattle) due to the physical demands. He also has always farmed around 150-250 acres and averaged a herd of 50-100 beef cattle for most of his life. Needless to say I've had the advantage of learning a lot from him over the years, and although his memory isn't so great these days it is definitely nice to have someone to turn to for sound advice, something I try to do as much as possible while I still can. He has unintentionally kind of let things go over the past few years so I've had quite the workload trying to get things back to a better place. Lots of new fencing or repairs, rebuilding working pens, trying to get pastures and hay fields in better shape, and getting cows back in better health and condition. After some fairly heavy culling earlier this year I'm right at 30 pairs at the moment. Current herd was purchased about 14 years ago as a group of bred Red Angus heifers but only a couple are remaining, everything else has been retained over the years. Cows have been bred with Piedmontese bulls and heifers were bred to Red Angus bulls for calving ease. He hasn't kept any replacements for about three years, and after culling 6 so far this year with 3-4 more headed for the trailer after weaning not to mention any that come up open, I'm looking to try to get numbers up next year. I've brought them a long way in a short time in my opinion but nowhere near what I'd like but I know nothing happens overnight. Will post a few random pics I have and hopefully can continue gaining knowledge from this sight and maybe help out a few others along the way myself.
0 x

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: I suppose it's time

Postby Cucumber35 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:12 am

This is the most recent picture I have, taken last week. We were starting to get a little dry but have finally had some rain the past few weeks so the grass has recovered fairly well and they are liking it.
0 x

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:20 am

This guy here decided to pose for a picture the other day so I got him. Not necessarily one of the best looking out of the bunch in my novice opinion but one of the larger Bulls. There is at least 1 maybe 2 that have him beat.
0 x

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:36 am

This old girl is one of the oldest in the herd, believe she may be from the original group of Red Angus. She had twin Bulls around the end of April, one pic is when they were about a day old, the other was taken about two weeks ago. Those two brats have been pulling granny down pretty hard with the heat we've had lately. She's been lagging behind the herd a lot and getting pretty slow and has been laying down in the shade or by the waterer alone quite a bit the last week or so. Finally last night I penned her by herself with some hay and gave her a good dose of fly spray, hopefully she gets some relief as it's supposed to be pretty hot the rest of the week. Pretty sure I've seen the bull working her so depending if she bounces back and turns out bred I may let her stick it out another season but with her age I have a feeling I'm gonna end up shipping her.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 am

Nice picture, I like them. Welcome. Your general location may prove to be a pertinent detail in any future questions you may ask.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:28 am

:welcome:

Nice cattle.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:24 am

Howdy and :welcome: to the board :tiphat:
0 x

RiverHills
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby RiverHills » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am

:welcome: to the board!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have the best mentor a young farmer could have. Soak it up like a sponge!!!!
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 am

welcome , Where are you from ??? and what's the significance of the name cucumber35??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:13 am

:welcome: to the Boards!
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 pm

I live in Pa, farm address is Md, the Mason Dixon runs right through it. About 30 acres are in pa and the rest in md. My grandfather has always complained about having to pay property taxes in two states...
Cucumber is an old nickname, I've just used it for a general username for several things over the years... Lol
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:42 pm

You know King Ranch use to freight train there cows to Pa.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

mooo
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mooo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:32 pm

0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 am

Looks like the Pied bull has done a good job.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Welcome! I hope you have a great time on the boards :D Can we have a pic of they Pied bull?
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”