Hereford heifer prego

Let us know who you are.
Oliver RC
Beginner
Beginner

Hereford heifer prego

Postby Oliver RC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:13 am

Hello, I just purchased a bred Hereford heifer roughly 2 years old. This will be her first calf aswell as mine.... She was bred in mid August last year. When should I expect the calf and what signs should I be looking for that she is getting close? She's as big as a truck right now and looks like she will pop any minute. Any help is appreciated.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Hereford heifer prego

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am

august 15th breeding due 05-23-17 could be 10 days either side of this if breed date is accurate
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Oliver RC
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Oliver RC » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks! What signs should I look for that she's getting close or going into labor?
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:29 am

Look for something called the plug. That is a long thick, string of discharge. They will have that soon before delivery. Look for a swollen vulva as well. For us, our Herefords udders start to swell about two weeks before they calve, and their teats swell immensely in the final two days, prior to delivering. Do not panic if you don't always see signs right away. This year we had several cows that I was unsure if they were actually pregnant at all, and all of the sudden, they would drop a calf on their due date. Due to the fact that it is your first one, I would keep a close eye on her. Often times you can tell if she is getting close if she lays down and gets up quickly a lot. She will show certain signs like that, that tell you she is uncomfortable not too long off. Good luck and hope all goes well for you.
0 x

Oliver RC
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Oliver RC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:02 am

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I will try to upload a few pictures soon so you guys can see whats going on.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”