Pregnant Heifer

Let us know who you are.
AngusHeifer
Beginner
Beginner

Pregnant Heifer

Postby AngusHeifer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 am

Hi, I am from George, a small town in South Africa. We have a 2 year 4 month old Angus cross Jersey heifer who is pregnant. Vulva is swollen and she is developing a bag,but not very large. She was hand raised( bottle fed). She is more Angus than Jersey. We had 2 bulls as well,but they were slaughtered on the 10th of July 2017. One of them is the father. The problem is I have no idea how far along she is. I am going to try and post pics of her . The last 2 days she has been mooing constantly. She has always been very vocal,but this is carrying on all day and all night. Does anyone know what the problem could be? She is alone and hears cows from down the road so maybe its that? I am worried that she may be in pain. Any advice would be great.Thanks
PS. The first pic was on the 18th January and last pic was 15th February, just for comparison :)

0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Pregnant Heifer

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:51 am

You live in a beautiful place!

Your description of her is well done. However, it is not possible from pictures to predict when she will calf. She looks close but still could be a week, perhaps more.

She might be having prepartum pain. If there are other signs of pain such as nervous behavior, laying down then getting up, raising or twisting her tail, arching her back, walking around not eating - then there is likely a problem causing her discomfort. In which case, you should seek assistance.

Good luck.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

AngusHeifer
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Pregnant Heifer

Postby AngusHeifer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi,thanks for your reply and advice. She still hasnt calved and am getting a bit worried now. Ligaments feel soft,but then again I have no idea how they should feel this being my first time with this sort of thing. She was up and down today,changing position a lot. Even having had 6 kids doesnt help when it comes to pregnant heifers! I hope she IS pregnant,because I was told she is by someone who knows. Waiting and waiting......

0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”