I'm new from Ks

Let us know who you are.
wiggles
Beginner
Beginner

I'm new from Ks

Postby wiggles » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:25 am

Hi to all I am new but have an important question to ask all of you.
I have a yearling bull who is down. Today makes the 4th day. He had to have cork screw placed due to bloat and that is first time he ever bloated. Now we can not get him up. He is trying but back side doesn't want to work.HE has movement in back legs and we have been exercising all the legs. Tried to stand him yesterday What a mess.I know the outlook is bleek but would like to try we have had 3 vet calls and 3 steriod shots and antibiotic. He is trying to get up as has spun self about in pen we have him in. I have read may of the post to others and wondering if anyone else has ideas.
You know turning sounds so easy but it is not hen you don't weigh 1/8 as much as he does.
0 x
Dianea

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:21 am

Hi Wiggles,

I saw no one gave you the official welcome :( , so here it is:

Hop on in, post away and have a great time. I see that you have a problem with a bull; hope everything turns out o.k.

Not sure what he has, but you might want to check (once you get him to the vet) that's it's not heriditary. If it is, I would defintely not keep him as a bull.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

AAOK
Rancher
Rancher

Postby AAOK » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:54 pm

Hey Wiggles. Sorry about the bull. Good Luck.

I have relatives in Wichita, Hutch, Emporia, Osage City, and Topeka. Mighty nice country.
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Hey wiggles. Sorry about your animal. Read your post on the other thread. Nobody likes losing one, but you may have to put him down. Not sayin that's the only option, just be prepared for it. Good luck.
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

wiggles
Beginner
Beginner

thanks

Postby wiggles » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:13 pm

You are right it looks as if I am going to have to put him down. Hate too but I can't physically keep this up. My neighbors are getting tired of my phone calls for help. But thnaks for the support
0 x
Dianea

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Re: I'm new from Ks

Postby Bez! » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:20 pm

wiggles wrote:Hi to all I am new but have an important question to ask all of you.
I have a yearling bull who is down. Today makes the 4th day. He had to have cork screw placed due to bloat and that is first time he ever bloated. Now we can not get him up. He is trying but back side doesn't want to work.HE has movement in back legs and we have been exercising all the legs. Tried to stand him yesterday What a mess.I know the outlook is bleek but would like to try we have had 3 vet calls and 3 steriod shots and antibiotic. He is trying to get up as has spun self about in pen we have him in. I have read may of the post to others and wondering if anyone else has ideas.
You know turning sounds so easy but it is not hen you don't weigh 1/8 as much as he does.

After reading this post, I will add something that most do not like to hear but tends to be true in MOST cases.

"Never let the sun set on a downer cow."

I know you tried, but usually an animal might as well be shot after the first day.

You are faced with the decision at hand, but perhaps you are doing it a favour.

Bez!
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”