New and need help with Long Horn

Let us know who you are.
Rural Oklahoma
Beginner
Beginner

New and need help with Long Horn

Postby Rural Oklahoma » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 am

Hello from rural Oklahoma. New to the site as of yesterday, Feb. 6. I do have a question I need help with though. I bought a 6 month old weaned Long Horn steer in November. He was a pasture steer and I guess was never offered feed, other than hay and grass. Given how dry it is and hay getting more expensive and scarce and how grassless we are I have tried to get him to eat sweet feed, creep, corn, oats or anything to help him get more nutrients. He turns away and eats his hay. His growth has not stopped. He eats, drinks and likes his salt lick. Should I try other feeds, is there another feed or should I just be glad he's healthy, eating and growing? Any help or info on the topic sure would be helpfull.
0 x

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:12 am

Sometimes it takes a few days for a "cattle" or horse to recognize a new taste in food. Sweet feed with a molasses base and/or a molasses tub will help. To my knowledge people don't routinely feed corn, oats, and other grains to longhorns unless there is a special reason to do it.

Make sure your steer has access to a quality protein/mineral tub to lick/eat on, as well as free access salt along with free choice hay 24/7.
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

Rural Oklahoma
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Rural Oklahoma » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:13 pm

Sorry I was not clear. He has been in the pasture for 4 months and still only eats hay. Yes he does have a mineral tub, salt lick and water tub available 24/7. The assortment of feeds were just to get him to eat anything.
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Sounds like you got your bases covered. In time he'll probably come around to eatin the feed. You want to start him off slow, and build up the amount of feed a little at a time. ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Re: New and need help with Long Horn

Postby Bez! » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Rural Oklahoma wrote:Hello from rural Oklahoma. New to the site as of yesterday, Feb. 6. I do have a question I need help with though. I bought a 6 month old weaned Long Horn steer in November. He was a pasture steer and I guess was never offered feed, other than hay and grass. Given how dry it is and hay getting more expensive and scarce and how grassless we are I have tried to get him to eat sweet feed, creep, corn, oats or anything to help him get more nutrients. He turns away and eats his hay. His growth has not stopped. He eats, drinks and likes his salt lick. Should I try other feeds, is there another feed or should I just be glad he's healthy, eating and growing? Any help or info on the topic sure would be helpfull.

Why do you need help? Sounds like he is happy.

If this animal is eating hay that is of reasonable quality, he needs nothing else.

In the end hay is expensive, but the add-ons will eat you up as well.

Do you know what your hay tests at?

We run a small herd of HH and through the winter and they get the following:

Hay, mineral and salt. No bedding - sleep on snow. And they do very, very well. Spend as little as possible. Throw a little oat or wheat straw at him - he may eat that. There is a surprizing amount of nutrition in it.

Be advised these animals are famous for their lack of feed requirements - suspect you know that already.

Regards,

Bez!
0 x

AAOK
Rancher
Rancher

Postby AAOK » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Welcome from another rural Oklahoman (SE quadrant). I'll second all the recommendations except the salt. Every bovine nutritionist I have ever spoken with advises no salt; ever. That is, of course, only if a quality mineral is available free choice. They say there is more than adequate salt in the mineral, and if salt is available, the cows may not consume the necessary amounts of mineral.
0 x

Rural Oklahoma
Beginner
Beginner

Not sure what hay tests out to

Postby Rural Oklahoma » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:54 pm

As to the quality of the hay, I'm not sure. It's not weedy with thorns and its been stored dry. Right now just getting hay is getting harder and harder. We have had so many fields burned with the wild fires it's getting tough to find bailed or round hay. Thanks for the suggestions, at this point I'll just keep hay available and hope that he is as hardy as I have been told he is.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”