Heifer fixin to calve (I hope)

Let us know who you are.
Mom
Beginner
Beginner

Heifer fixin to calve (I hope)

Postby Mom » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:45 pm

I have been around cattle/farm all my life but have never raised a heifer as a show calf and my son is. The cows on the farm you come out one day and you have a new calf, this heifer we are watching like a hawk- she is actually due today- it is making me a nervous wreck! She has had a bag for over 1 month, she was a little messy a couple of days ago but nothing now. I was told that 1 time mommys calf early. How long should I wait before getting he checked out by a vet? We keep her in a large pen at the house so we know she didn't have it already and is just not bringing it out in the open.
Thanks
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:03 pm

Any swelling on her backside? Any discharge? If either or neither, just keep an eye on her. Sounds like your doing that already.
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Mom
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Mom » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:47 pm

warpaint wrote:Any swelling on her backside? Any discharge? If either or neither, just keep an eye on her. Sounds like your doing that already.

Her backside hasn't changed for about a month, she had some discharge a couple of days ago (clear mucussy stuff) so we thought it would be really soon.... my son stayed home from work (work program at high school) cause he doesn't want to miss it & well neither do I. Thanks
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:17 pm

I am going to give you the same advice I give everyone when they post this type of comment / question.

You are a Mom - you have at least one child - forgive my directness please - you know when conception ocurred for your son - and you knew roughly when you would give birth. But, you also knew that there was a chance birth could happen early and there was a chance it could happen late.

There is absolutely NO difference here. God and Mother Nature and the heifer - soon to be cow - will all come together and decide when the time is right. And, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Not one darned thing - unless you decide to induce or cut it out.

So, sit back and enjoy the ride. Chances are she will calve out when you are not around - probably the best for her and you - less stress all round. Tell your son to go to school and stay there - far more important than waiting for an animal to calve out - he could miss several days - or even weeks.

Regards,

Bez!
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Excellent advice as usual, Bez!.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

holly heifer
Rancher
Rancher

heifer

Postby holly heifer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:47 am

:lol: right on the money, Bez! :D
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:58 pm

A watched pot never boils...but calves have their own schedule. A change in the barometer (storm approaching) seems to trigger the process...of course late night, rain and while you are away for the evening seeems to have an influence. Good luck...Dmc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Susie David wrote:A watched pot never boils...but calves have their own schedule. A change in the barometer (storm approaching) seems to trigger the process...of course late night, rain and while you are away for the evening seeems to have an influence. Good luck...Dmc

Even better if you are in a Tux and the frau is in an evening gown when the most expensive animal on the place decides to pull the calf with one leg back routine. Better that you have left the keys locked in your truck so you cannot go and get changed into some "work type" clothing.

If there had been a photographer handy, the pics would have made an interesting series for certain mags.

Me with absolutely nothing on but some old rubber boots from the back of the truck, and wife in some frillies with her gown hanging from the truck mirror!

In the middle of a very big field and the sun still high over head.

:lol:

Those WERE the days.

Bez!
0 x

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:48 pm

Bez! wrote:
Even better if you are in a Tux and the frau is in an evening gown when the most expensive animal on the place decides to pull the calf with one leg back routine. Better that you have left the keys locked in your truck so you cannot go and get changed into some "work type" clothing.

If there had been a photographer handy, the pics would have made an interesting series for certain mags.

Me with absolutely nothing on but some old rubber boots from the back of the truck, and wife in some frillies with her gown hanging from the truck mirror!

In the middle of a very big field and the sun still high over head.

:lol:

Those WERE the days.

Bez!

I'm lovin' it!! :lol: :lol:
0 x

Calman
GURU
GURU

Postby Calman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:01 am

Good advise Bez.

You can look at a cow and tell she's gonna calf, but you can't look at her and tell exactly when. This has been a guessing game going on for many years.

Cal
0 x
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" Thomas Paine

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”