new

Let us know who you are.
SaddleKreek
Beginner
Beginner

new

Postby SaddleKreek » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Don’t have any experience in raising cattle; however, my parents were both from working family farms. My mom’s parents raised dairy cattle and my dad’s folks raised hogs and later raised beef cattle. I have many wonderful memories of visiting these farms. Since my kids are raised, I have always wanted to move to the country, and that is exactly what my husband and I decided to do when our kids were grown up. It seems like you work so hard and why wait until you’re retired to do something that you really want to do. Anyway, when our son got out of school we decided to look for a place out in the country. We found a beautiful old homestead that had been divided up. It was originally 200 acres and it had been divided into 5 to 20 acre plots (new subdivision). The old home place is what we bought 16 acres with 2 ponds, a stream, an awesome old barn, and machine shed. The view and the barn is what sold me. It was our own little haven away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Two years ago my husband decided to take a friend at work up on an offer to buy 3 yearlings (1 steer and 2 heifers) to put on our pastures.
Last April we decided we wanted to breed the heifers and looked into AI, but couldn’t find anyone around our area to do it. After asking around to get some advice, we decided to buy a young bull to put with the heifers and then maybe we could sell him later. The bull was a Hereford who had been an unassisted birth and low birth weight. That’s what the guy who sold him said. Not knowing anything, we trusted the guy who sold it to us. He sells lots of Hereford Bulls. He knew we wanted a bull to put with heifers. Anyway, we got a beautiful bull. I was surprised at how gentle he was.
This bull is what led me to this site. In December we lost him. He was sick for six days. We called the vet daily and he would not come out. On the sixth day he finally said he would come, but by that evening the bull was dead. The only good thing to come out of this is that the 2 heifers were bred. I wish I would have asked the guy that we got the bull from about a vet. I called him and told him about what happened and he said that he quit using that vet 10 years ago b/c he just lost too many cows.
I asked around and got a new vet in case there were problems with calving. I was really nervous. I just don’t want to loose an animal b/c of my stupidity. Monday night the 1st heifer had her calf. It was AWESOME! I’ve been reading all the posts on this board to try and avoid problems. Thanks to everyone for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

Here is a pic of the calf.

Had a pic of calf, but size of photo was too big. I couldn't figure out how to resize.
0 x

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:14 am

Welcome SaddleKreek!!!

Sounds like you officially have the "bug".

Looking up old posts is a good way to find out information that has been discussed. You can click on search and search the whole data base (topics).

Now everyone loves pics, so lets get them up here. If your using photobucket, after you upload the picture click above the picture on edit and you can then reduce the size (I normally reduce by 50%). Then you can proceed to post. Also a kind way to help people who have dial up. If the pic is too big for photobucket ( I've never seen that) or your using something besides photobucket, you can always open your pic up in paint and reduce the size on your own computer.

Hope it helps.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

shutskytj
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby shutskytj » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:32 am

Welcome Saddle Creek. Give Genex a try for AI that is who I use sometimes to breed my cows, I went to a class to learn it on my own but I have so few cows it is hard to keep the practice up so I rely on some friends as well. If you don't have Genex or ABS or somebody like that around maybe go to some neiboring farmers maybe they can help.
0 x

SaddleKreek
Beginner
Beginner

Postby SaddleKreek » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:01 am

Thanks for the info on pictures. Here goes.

This is the heifer calf.

Next calf shoudl be black with white face. She's due any day.
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:37 am

Welcome...always like to see pics of the new arrivals...DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Re: new

Postby Bez! » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:58 pm

SaddleKreek

Welcome. Good to see someone who at least attempts to get a veterinarian on board.

You will have some success and you will have some failure - but in the end raising cattle is a pretty good way to learn about animals, yourself and life in general..

Stay well,

Bez!
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Welcome SaddleKreek! Congratulations on your new addition, he/she is a cutie! :D
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:03 pm

Welcome, Saddle Creek! Your situation is exactly what I have wanted to do all my life. Retire, get a little place in the country, and have a few head of cattle around to keep busy. Hasn't happened yet, but you never know. I envy you (in a good way.)
Anyway, this is a great place to learn how to do it right. Who knows, maybe you'll be giving me advice some day. Good luck, and keep us informed.
0 x

Farmhand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmhand » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:10 pm

Howdy!
0 x
Rev. Crowder for President

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”