Need Help Quickly

Let us know who you are.
BMBARFARM
Beginner
Beginner

Need Help Quickly

Postby BMBARFARM » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:05 am

My husband and I are relatively new to the cattle business and run about 30 head since retirement. We purchased a cow from the auction last week and thought she was just poor, as many in our area are due to drought and lack of water. Upon getting her home, she eats good. The problem we see is that she is coughing and sticks her tongue out. alot, and is scouring. She is 7 years old, and 6 months bred. We live in southern Ok. :?:
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:27 pm

IMO I'd get the scours under control asap, may have to give some electrolites. How bad are the scours, clear and squirting like a fire hose or still has some substance? Could have pulmonary problems and needs an anitbiotic. Haul her to your vet or pay the extra to have him do a farm call. Have you taken her temperature? Eating and drinking normally is a good sign.
Of course you could have an animal that is not use to the new and probably higher quality feed and her rumen is adjusting. If the manure has some substance to it and is green I wouldn't worry. Does she caugh all the time or only at feeding, could be the dust rom the feed is irritating her. We have a heifer that caughs when she rustles the feed bunk, only time that she caughs. Good luck to you....DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:57 pm

Jaunnies(sp)??

I'd isolate and have the vet check her asap.
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Rustler9
GURU
GURU

Postby Rustler9 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Symptoms of Johnes disease would be good appetite, thin, chronic scouring but I've never heard anything about it including coughing. With Johnes, everything they eat continues to pass right through them and they can never put on any weight. I'd definitely get her checked very soon by your vet. Good luck.
0 x
Roger Townsend
BT Farms
Pulaski, TN

http://www.btfarms.net

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:19 pm

Pretty general symptoms. Could be lots of things. I'd giver her a heavy dose of LA200 or Nuflor and keep isolated away from my other cattle until she is well or I know exactly what she has. Don't want to expose the others. You have to make the decision to call the vet or not.

Good luck
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”