New Hay Crop

Let us know who you are.
kevin.stenger
Beginner
Beginner

New Hay Crop

Postby kevin.stenger » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:23 am

I am jumping into the hay business, as the farmer who farmed my 25 acres is moving his operation, and my 11 year old son is showing a lot of interest. I have had several conversations with experienced farmers and have come to the conclusion that my ground lays too wet for Alfalfa. I am going with Clover and Orchard grass. I did a soil sample and the results have me putting on 100# 18-46-0 and 275# 0-0-61 as well as urea later on and about the same next year as well as 2.5 ton of lime. My place is in SE Indiana. My questions are: 1 What type of clover should I go with(and how much per acre) 2 What type of Orchard Grass and How much per acre. 3 Should I sow Spring Oats for a cover crop and just what does a cover crop do?
Also, I have A John Deer 5300 (about 50 HP) and access to a disc. Can you help steer me to a baler and Mower/Conditioner.
I got a $4000 operation loan and a $15,000 equipment loan
Any help would be appreciated.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:32 am

Check with your local extension office. Growing conditions can vary so much from area to area that the guy 20 miles from you may have different cultivars that work better in that area then in yours.

dun
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”