New at this cattle thing...Morniingside Farms

Let us know who you are.
Morningside Farms
Beginner
Beginner

New at this cattle thing...Morniingside Farms

Postby Morningside Farms » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:26 pm

Hello everyone...

My husband and I and my two sons just bought 70 acres in a small town in West Tennessee. We just built a new ranch house and big red barn and we are loving the country scene.

Recently we have purchased some very young calves from
the local auction sale. Having no prior experience with calves we have done great with some and not so good with others.

We are looking for some advice on what some farmers do for scours in young calves-what type of innoculations we should use when we get the young calves home-and what to do for pneumonia and if the calves just won't drink the milk replacer.

Any info will be of great use to us.

Hope to get to know all of you!

Morningside Farms
Feb 18, 2006
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Welcome Morningside!
As a fellow Tennessean, I can assure you, you can get just about any answer to any question you may have. Lots of really good folks here. ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Postby Crowderfarms » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:58 pm

warpaint wrote:Welcome Morningside!
As a fellow Tennessean, I can assure you, you can get just about any answer to any question you may have. Lots of really good folks here. ;-)
Whereabouts in west Tennessee are you? Got a bunch of kin over thataway.And welcome!
0 x
Hoss, Please stay!

coolwater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coolwater » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:37 pm

welcome to the boards.about the calf scours,when my cows/heifers are close to calving i keep on hand a packet of immu start.1 pack to 1 1/2 qts of warm water.also you should get some electrolytes in them.i see someone already told ya that.if you have a tractor supply near ya go in and pick up their catalog its free.look in the bovine section and theres a chart on immunizations.also it will list what meds they have available.good luck with your calves
0 x
there are many ways to remove a wasp nest but only a few ways without getting stung.in life there are many wasp nests.

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:03 pm

Welcome....get a knowledgable mentor....will save you alot of worry and $$$. Beware of the sale barn if you are not familiar with buying cattle....notice in the posts when someone says that the cows "grow wheels" or "ship em" these are the ones that end up at the sale barn. Definately not all sale cattle are culls but this is where the culls are sold.
Good luck...Dave Mc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Beef11
GURU
GURU

Postby Beef11 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:53 pm

As far as buying new calves the key is Colostrum. Uphill all the way without it. It has been mentioned that buying from a reputable breeder is important. Colostrum is the key. Make sure the reputable breeder has given them colostrum. If you need any help PM me. I'll give you my phone # and you can give me a call if you have anything urgent.
0 x
What can't you catch with a fast horse and a long rope?

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”