Hi. New to board

Let us know who you are.
Highland Girl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Hi. New to board

Postby Highland Girl » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:00 pm

Hi,

new to this board. I take care of 13 highland cattle. We got the cattle as a fold off another farmer who no longer wished to farm. Their ages vary from 11yrs to 9 month calves. I have spent a lot of time just getting to know them and avoiding their horns.

Today I put a halter on one of the calves for the first time (mine and his) and he did not mind it at all. We will continue to practise each day until we both become good at it.

Already learnt a lot from reading the posts. Thanks!

Highland girl!
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:29 pm

Welcome Highland!! Lots of good info here. ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:37 pm

Welcome
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Welcome...you can search the files and call up past posts on a given subject...alot of posts recently on halter breaking, alot of sound advise, some not so sound. Take what best suits your situation...good luck. Sue & Dave
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Orerancher
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Orerancher » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:02 am

Howdy!
I have found highlands to be real easy to halter break...
Good luck with your new fold!
0 x

Calman
GURU
GURU

Postby Calman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:21 am

Welcome

Cal
0 x
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" Thomas Paine

Highland Girl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highland Girl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:11 pm

Thanks for your warm welcome.

Highland Girl
0 x

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:14 pm

Welcome!

Van
0 x

andybob
GURU
GURU

Hi new to board

Postby andybob » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:11 pm

Welcome,Highland Girl, plenty of helpful,experienced people.
Regards,Andy.
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

brownmule
Rancher
Rancher

highland cows

Postby brownmule » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:38 am

welcome highland, i have been looking in to highlands, i found a few near me, which wasnt easy, looking forward to haveing these hairy bovine in my pasture, im sure my die hard angus farmmer budbies are gonna have a field day with me LOL that will give the mules a break.. got a question about those horns, how fast do they grow? does it take years to have those big long horn type horns, the horns is the only thing that worries me, would be easy to get stabed just swatting at a fly if your in the wrong place.... we will be getting ours as soon as i can get one more strand of wire up, which with the weather keeps beeing pushed back ... Rose
0 x

Highland Girl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: highland cows

Postby Highland Girl » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:17 pm

brownmule wrote: got a question about those horns, how fast do they grow? does it take years to have those big long horn type horns, the horns is the only thing that worries me, would be easy to get stabed just swatting at a fly if your in the wrong place

Here are a couple of pictures of George. They were taken 5 months apart. George is now 9 months.

The female horns curl upwards where as the males come straight out. One of our cows though, before we got her, got pregnant at just over one year and her growth was stunted so her horns look like a bulls. They say to start breeding highlands at three years old. Dozer our bull has fully grown horns and he is not even three yet.

As for dodging those darn horns...ours like to toss their heads to tell you they are not happy and knock buckets and bales out of our hands. And when you have a 600kg cow wanting to play you always wonder if they are doing to stop!!! BUT I have not been hurt with horns and all the cattle we have are not halter trained or overly friendly. I work very close with them. You just have to be aware of them.

Hope your highlands bring you as much joy as they have brought me!

Highland Girl
0 x

brownmule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby brownmule » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:13 pm

thanks for the reply, wow! i had no idea that they grew that fast, george at 9 mos . thats some nice horns already ! i cant wait to get mine,, should be intresting, the babies are so cute.. love there little faces..im a hairdresser so attracted to the long hair too LOL hummm wonder if they like cornrows? LOL :lol: do you feed out any mineral tub or block? i feed my mules the brown mineral/salt block,{it's in the barn when they want it} it will be nice to be at the camp, overlooking the pasture and watching my little herd,i live about 4 miles from our farm, we have our camper set up and we stay down there alot.doug has to go by there to go to work,and he works 4 on 4 off the 4 off we at the farm..plus i have a good friend who farms with us, who lives there, they are getting excited about the cows too.. now if i could get decent weather to add a strand of wire to fence, i'd be in bussiness! Rose
0 x

Highland Girl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highland Girl » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:37 am

brownmule wrote: do you feed out any mineral tub or block? i feed my mules the brown mineral/salt block,{it's in the barn when they want it}

The land we put them on is a Site of Special Scientific Intrest. Which basically means that we have rules for the use of the land and because of that the previous owners had not done anything with it. Until the highlands it had gone 22yrs without cattle on it. So we give a General purpose cattle mineral bucket for them to lick.

I don't know how much research you have done into this breed but they are a little different to other cattle due to their hardness and long coats.

I know about weather. It is snowing today and I have lots of out side jobs to do. I don't have any other job but farming. Which is great but not when it rain's or its cold.

If you have any more questions just ask, most happy to help!

Highland Girl.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”