LOVE PROFESIONAL HELP

Let us know who you are.
starbaby
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

LOVE PROFESIONAL HELP

Postby starbaby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:26 am

PLEASE EXCUSE \ I AM NOT YELLING , WAS IN ACCIDENT AM QUADRAPLEGIC \ CAP ARE EAZEY \ WE HAVE A BABY BULL BORN DEC 22 HE GETS 2 QTS TWICE A DAY , BOTTLE FEED MILK \ MOM DIED \ HE EATS STARTER PELLETS BUT WE ARE NOT SHURE HOW MUCH TO GIVE HIM ? \ SINCE IT HAS BEEN GETTING COLD WE HAVE BEEN GIVEING HIM SOME WARM WATER IN THE AFTERNOON \ IS THIS OK /? WE ALSO HAVE 1 BULL 3 COWS AND WE GIVE THEM BANANAS AS A TREAT EVERY OUTHE DAY THAY GET ABOUGHT 1 A PIECE AND WE GIVE THE BABY BULL A HALF WITHOUT PELLING IN SMALL BITES \ IS THIS OK ? \ ALSO READ THAT AN EGG WAS GOOD IN HIS MILK \ IF SO HOW OFTEN SHOULD HE GET AN EGG? \ WHAT SHOULD WE START DOING WITH HIM NEXT \ IS THE BIG BULL GOING TO ACCEPT HIM ? \ THANKS
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: LOVE PROFESIONAL HELP

Postby msscamp » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:54 am

starbaby wrote:PLEASE EXCUSE \ I AM NOT YELLING , WAS IN ACCIDENT AM QUADRAPLEGIC \ CAP ARE EAZEY \ WE HAVE A BABY BULL BORN DEC 22 HE GETS 2 QTS TWICE A DAY , BOTTLE FEED MILK \ MOM DIED \ HE EATS STARTER PELLETS BUT WE ARE NOT SHURE HOW MUCH TO GIVE HIM ? \ SINCE IT HAS BEEN GETTING COLD WE HAVE BEEN GIVEING HIM SOME WARM WATER IN THE AFTERNOON \ IS THIS OK /? WE ALSO HAVE 1 BULL 3 COWS AND WE GIVE THEM BANANAS AS A TREAT EVERY OUTHE DAY THAY GET ABOUGHT 1 A PIECE AND WE GIVE THE BABY BULL A HALF WITHOUT PELLING IN SMALL BITES \ IS THIS OK ? \ ALSO READ THAT AN EGG WAS GOOD IN HIS MILK \ IF SO HOW OFTEN SHOULD HE GET AN EGG? \ WHAT SHOULD WE START DOING WITH HIM NEXT \ IS THE BIG BULL GOING TO ACCEPT HIM ? \ THANKS

Hi Starbaby,

Don't worry about the all caps, I'm sure the folks here will understand. It sounds like the milk you are feeding is ok, as far as the starter pellets - what kind of pellets? If you are taking about a balanced calf starter pellet, I would give him a cup in the morning and check about noon to see if he has eaten them. If so, increase gradually (by a 1/4 cup or so) over a couple of days until he is up to what the bag recommends for a per feeding amount. Also, make sure he has a good quality grass hay available - start out with a flake, if he eats it in a day increase to two flakes. Hay is important as it provides roughage and additional nutrition. I would not put an egg in his milk as it is not necessary and can cause diarrhea due to the protein content. I also would not feed him warm water in the afternoon, just make sure he has some type of shelter - either a windbreak or an open shed to get in out of the elements - and some straw or other type of bedding to help him stay warm. I can't advise about the banana's as it's out of my realm of experience. Sorry. I wouldn't put the little one in with the big one as he isn't big enough to get his share of feed. Once he grows up, they will sort out the pecking order and be ok. As far as what you should do with this young bull, I believe I would castrate him and sell him as a steer once he reaches approximately 500 pounds or so. Bucket calves don't do as well as calves raised by their mother and I doubt there is much potential for him making a herd bull. Just my thoughts, though.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:11 pm

Welcome, starbaby. Will be good to hear from you! :)
0 x

starbaby
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

THANKS

Postby starbaby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:03 pm

MSSCAMP/VANC/THANK YOU SO MUCH/ISNT IT FANTASTIC THE INFORMATION AND FRIENDS YOU CAN GET ONLINE/GOD BLESS
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Welcome to the boards. :cboy:
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

andybob
GURU
GURU

Love Professional help

Postby andybob » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Welcome to the boards starbaby,we'll all try to help wherever we can.
All the best, Andy
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

starbaby
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

STANLEY

Postby starbaby » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:49 pm

EVERYTHING I LEARNED WAS FROM HERE/WHAT IS A FLAKE TO FEED HIM
0 x

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Welcome, from a fellow Texan. :D
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

Beef11
GURU
GURU

Postby Beef11 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:48 pm

I just watched a video put out by Penn state where they did a study on Rumen development. Showed the rumens of calves at certain ages 3 groups 1. Milk only 2. milk & hay 3. Milk and grain.

The one with the grain ration was far more developed than any of the others. I was always of the opinion that hay or grass hay was natural fit. This study said there is no need for the hay until weaning. i'm not telling anybody how to do it but i was convinced to change my practices.
0 x
What can't you catch with a fast horse and a long rope?

starbaby
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby starbaby » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:12 am

HIS MOTHER DIED FROM PNEMONIA BECAUSE SHE HAD A BALL OF HAY STUCK IN HER THROAT/THE VET TOOK IT OUT AND GAVE HER SHOTS SAID IF SHE MADE IT BRING HER BACK 3 DAYS/I PRAYED SO HARD/SHE MADE IT VET GAVE MORE SHOTS /WENT DOWN NEXT DAY BABY NUDGED AND LICKED HER SHE GOT UP/SHE DIED THAT PM/WAS MAAAJOR SAD/THESE ARE SANTA GERTS /WHAT WOULD COUSE HAY STUCK/ALSO BABY IS AT HAY RING DONT KNOW IF HE EATS IT/IS HAY FLAKE/I WILL LEARN THIS STUFF
0 x
SOMETIMES THE HEART SEES WHAT IS INVISIBLE TO THE EYES

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 am

a "flake" of hay is just a measurement. you know when you have a square bale of hay and you cut the strings, it falls apart. a flake is one of those pieces. some people call it a "batt" of hay. its pretty much just a chunk of hay that doesnt fall apart when you pick it up with one hand. flakes vary in size, but are usually a few inches thick and, well, square... if you dont have square bales just gather some from a round bale and throw in.

if he has access to hay he should figure it out on his own. you may want to feed him separate to make sure he gets enough or so that you can monitor his intake.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

starbaby
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby starbaby » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:17 am

THANKS BEEF11AN BEEFY
0 x
SOMETIMES THE HEART SEES WHAT IS INVISIBLE TO THE EYES

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Welcome...look forward to your posts. Susie
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Welcome!
0 x

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 am

When I was a kid, I used to put a raw egg and a tablespoon of castor oil in each bottle. Don't ask me why, grandpa just said so. All the calves turned out fine. I'm thinking the milk replacers
today are probably much better than 25 years ago, though.

If the calf is 2 months old, he should be well on his way to eating for himself. Don't let him take advantage of you and keep drinking bottles forever. Just like natural calves, they will suck as long as they can - we've talked before about a yearling sucking on his moma while she was trying to raise another new calf.

Oh, and welcome starbaby.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”