Another New Guy

Let us know who you are.
BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Another New Guy

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Hey folks, name is Kevin, new around here, 20yrs old born and raised with cattle and working on a BS in Animal Science, minor in Ag Economics right now at Washington State Univ.

Kevin
0 x

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Glad to have you. Maybe you can teach us something from your schooling.
0 x

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:17 pm

VanC wrote:Glad to have you. Maybe you can teach us something from your schooling.

Am I supposed to know something now??? :lol: Will try my best!
0 x

J and L
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby J and L » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:43 am

HI Kevin
Are you a dairy guy or a beef guy? School is a stepping stone to where? What would you like to be doing 10 years from now?
Welcome to the board-- we are less than a week on and enjoying it too.
L
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:57 am

Hello Kevin- welcome to the boards. WSU in Pullman? Hope you don't mind a few questions. :lol: I live in the next state over -Idaho- and am looking at college in the near future. I'd been considering University of Idaho with a Dairy Science major or perhaps something with a pre-vet emphasis. Washington has the vet school just across the river.

Soooo... How do you like it at Washington State? school? program? any comments about things over there? what made you choose that school over any of the others that offer Animal Science programs? Anything you know about U of I of interest? :) Obviously the biggest draw for me going to U of I rather than WSU or Utah State or one of the other colleges that offers what I'm looking for is...that in-state vs out-of-state tuition costs. :lol:
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:39 am

milkmaid wrote:Hello Kevin- welcome to the boards. WSU in Pullman? Hope you don't mind a few questions. :lol: I live in the next state over -Idaho- and am looking at college in the near future. I'd been considering University of Idaho with a Dairy Science major or perhaps something with a pre-vet emphasis. Washington has the vet school just across the river.

Soooo... How do you like it at Washington State? school? program? any comments about things over there? what made you choose that school over any of the others that offer Animal Science programs? Anything you know about U of I of interest? :) Obviously the biggest draw for me going to U of I rather than WSU or Utah State or one of the other colleges that offers what I'm looking for is...that in-state vs out-of-state tuition costs. :lol:

Hey Milkmaid,

I love Washington State, I come from a 200 head cow/calf ranch on the coast of WA (just south of Olympia) and wanted to continue in the beef cattle industry. Pullman is a great place, its put down as being a party school, but I have been to many colleges and have not found a NON party school yet? I mean come on its college :lol: We have a great Animal Science program, really good professors and classes. I am in this group called Cougar Cattle Feeders, whe have a small feedlot of about 120 head right now, operate every aspect from diet formulation to vaccine protocals to attending county cattlemen's meetings to advertise. There is one member (10 of us total) that is a U of I student, I have heard many good things about U of I and yes the in-state factor is a big deal. Anyways, in CCF we solicite donations from around the state, some Idaho and the producers who donate recieve monthly statements of ADG, weights, etc. Out of the 120 head about 50 are donated, the rest are custom pens of on an average of 5 head per pen that we feed out for people. Finally, the money earned is turned back to Animal Science student scholarships and funds 70% of the livestock judging team. As for Animal Science programs, this school is the only one in WA state to offer any Animal Science programs and it just worked out to be the furthest Univ. from home and still in the same state :lol:

What I plan on doing in 10 years I have no idea, looking into various aspects of the beef industry. Yes, am a beef guy 8)
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:34 pm

Welcome Kevin...good to hear from other folks up here in the northwest. Look forward to your posts....Dmc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:40 pm

Hey Kevin, good to have you with us. ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Kevin- thanks for the input. Dairy gal here, obviously. :)
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:59 pm

milkmaid wrote:Kevin- thanks for the input. Dairy gal here, obviously. :)

Cool, are you a senior right now? How big of a diary you live on?
0 x

scoot129
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby scoot129 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:29 pm

welcome, nice of you to join us :)
0 x

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:08 pm

Welcome aboard glad to have you.
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:31 pm

BlackBaldyMan wrote:Cool, are you a senior right now? How big of a diary you live on?

Senior, yes. Don't live on a dairy, just work at one. Run about 80 milking head there and a handful at home.
0 x

ctlbaron
GURU
GURU

Postby ctlbaron » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:04 am

Good to have you Kevin.
0 x
We have the best politicians money can buy. Will Rogers......I think.

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 am

milkmaid wrote:
BlackBaldyMan wrote:Cool, are you a senior right now? How big of a diary you live on?

Senior, yes. Don't live on a dairy, just work at one. Run about 80 milking head there and a handful at home.

Cool, here at WSU they milk 150 (planning on doubling the herd and rebuilding the whole dairy some day). Forget how many beef cattle they run at the Beef Center, think like couple hundred head of Angus and Wagyu, and the Swine Center there is about 1000 hogs w/ the piglets right now. In my A.I class I took this year we went to U of I's dairy a few times to preg check, they must have between 50 and a 100 they milk.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”