hi im new here

Let us know who you are.
mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

hi im new here

Postby mississippi » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Goodevening , I found this sight a few weeks ago and have been reading alot and really enjoying this forum. I work full time off the farm and my wife stays home with our two young children. We run ninety mama cows on about two hundred and seventy five acres of rented land. I've been raising cattle since I was about fifteen and I'm thirty now. It is a long slow process to build a herd as everyone here already knows but I love the challenge of it. Hope to do it full time one day although I realize it could take several more years. I love raising my children in the country, and my wife and kids help me a great deal here on the farm. I hope to learn alot from this site as I know there are alot of people on here with valuable experience with cattle that they are willing to share. Thanks
0 x

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Welcome Ms where are you located.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:08 pm

We're about 10 miles south east of Oxford in a little community called yocona. I 've lived on the same sixty acres my entire life. How about you, where are you located?
0 x

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:11 pm

25 miles west of Brookhaven a small community called Union Church.
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:54 am

Welcome, sippi..
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Bret
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bret » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:35 am

Wellllll Howdy Msipi....

"That was my best John Wayne Impersonation."

Welcome.
0 x
Corn Fed and Hand Spanked.

ctlbaron
GURU
GURU

Postby ctlbaron » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:14 am

Welcome Mississip.
0 x
We have the best politicians money can buy. Will Rogers......I think.

wearycowgirl
Beginner
Beginner

Postby wearycowgirl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 am

Hi,
welcome
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:54 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes. I hope to learn alot here. Whay part of Missouri are you from wearycowgirl? My family vacations there every year.
0 x

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 pm

hey mississippi. i've always been interested in mississippi. been around the north part a few times. what kind of cattle do you run? how many do you have? glad to have you here. talk to you later. ;-)
0 x

VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Welcome aboard!
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Hey redcherrys, I live near Oxford, Ms which is in the northern part of the state.It's where Ole Miss is at. I run mostly brangus type cows and a few hereford ,brahman crosses. I breed them to registered angus bulls. Right now I have ninety mama cows. I've been saving heifers for years, trying to slowly grow into the cattle business. I'd like to save about fifteen this year if I could. How bout you? Where are you located and what type of cattle do you run?
0 x

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:15 pm

Welcome
0 x

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:30 pm

i'm in tn. in the western part. i got quite a few head from my dad when he passed away. so now its just me trying to run the farm and i really don't know what i'm doing. i've had a few problems already. i've had a guys bull get in with my cows and i've had preblems with them having the calfs. but i'm learning. the guys bull was a different bread then my cows. and they were too small to have the babys. what a mess.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:27 pm

Sorry about your Dad, I know it's tough, I lost my dad about a year and a half ago. He was only 53. I've also been having trouble with some of my first calf heifers and a neighbors bull. I had bought an Angus bull with a low birth weight EPD and put with my heifers. Everything was going good and one day I came home from work and there was this big Charloais bull with my heifers. I ran him out but he came back several times. I had recently built a seven strand fence between me and my neighbor and he would go through it like it was nothing. Finally talked the neighbor into selling him. Now fast forward to about February 1. Those heifers started calving. The first five were out of the angus bull and had no problems. The next three were Charloais sired and I pulled one huge bull, lost one and one had one O.k. Very frustrating. I'm not an expert but have had cattle about 15 years. If I can help, feel free to write.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”