hi im new here

Let us know who you are.
redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:15 pm

i'm so sorry to hear about your dad. it must be hard on you.

that is really werid!!! the guys bull was a Charloais bull too that got in with my cows. wild, huh? i just got back in from pulling a baby. does it ever end? the baby was coming out backwards. i finally got it done. i hope the cow lets it nurse. i've seen them before just leave the calf after i've had to pull it. i wonder why that is?
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:41 pm

That is wierd. I'll tell you what else is weird, my wife and I had to pull a calf last night that was coming backwards. Heck of a coincidence. Like I said I've been doing this for fifteen years and last night was only the second time I've ever had one come backwards. After I got it pulled I noticed it wasn't breathing,so I grabbed it by it's hind feet and spun around in a circle with the calf stretched out and you would'nt believe the fluid that came out of that calfs lungs. I laid it on the ground then and the cow hit me and knocked me up against the gate so I got out of there. When I left ,the calf was laying with it's head on the ground but it was breathing and the cow was licking it off. I'm taking a master cattleman's class so I left for it at six and when I got back at 9:30 the calf was up doing fine. I didn't have to do anything. I would say as long as the calf is breathing all right and seems to have all of the fluid out of his lungs it will probably be allright. I'd just check her again in a little while and see if it's up and nursing. I hope they make it O.k. A fella sure don't get much sleep during calving season does he?
0 x

NewCowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NewCowboy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:54 am

Glad to see a fellow Mississippian on board, welcome.
0 x
Live well, love much, laugh OFTEN!

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:23 am

no not much sleep during this time of year. glad the calf made it. mine made it too. she was up and nursing in no time. that is strange that it happend to both of us. its only like a 5% chance of it happening, right? are you ok after the cow got you? it seems like it made my cow alitttle meaner after all this happened. i hate to see it ruin a good cow. i hope it doen't happen to me again. i really enjoy the life taking care of cattle. like i said i'm kind of new at it but i think i'm learning. what kind of class did you say you were taking? i'm in the middle of a cattleman's class too. its shown on a tv screen. and i'd really like for the instructor to be right in front of me but i've learned alittle bit from the speakers. one time i heard some guy say something really funny. i don't think he knew he was being recorded. or i hope he wouldn't have said that knowing he was on the tv.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:01 pm

I'm fine, the cow just knocked me down , she didn't hurt me. About that cattleman's class, I'm taking mine through the tv too. It's on Tuesday nights. Speaking of the funny thing you heard, it wasn't an old man asking about bushogging mimosa trees was it? If it was it happened at the class room I was in , here in Lafayette County. I was the one that pushed the button to ask A question and the old man didn't know I pushed it and he said that thinking only our guys heard it. Everybody fell out .
0 x

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:40 pm

no way!! that was you? i guess we are taking the same class. do you think this is all alittle too werid? i have only three of heifers to calf and i'll be done with all this drama, i hope. i also work away from the farm. i help a friend of mine run a little business. nothing major, just not what i wanted to do for the rest of my life. like i said i got in the cattle business by my dad. yeah i helped him out some but it wasn't all on my shoulders. when he died about 5 years ago i just kind of took it over. really enjoy it now. now i know why he did it.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:58 pm

Yes, I would have to say it is all a little weird but I guess it's just a small world. The only thing I can reccomend for heifers in the future is a good low birth weight Angus bull, like I said all the calves off my heifers that were bred to the Angus bull I had Zero trouble. I also keep them up close to the house in a pasture that I can check them easily. There are no ditches or holes or anything they can get in. By the way how many cows do you have.
0 x

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:23 pm

i've looked into getting a low brith weight bull. been shopping around if you know what i mean. i run about 45 head. like i said its not alot but enough to keep me busy. i have the old tractor and it gave me trouble at lunch today. been trying to find parts for it. i ended up just running it alittle to get some chores done. i need a new tractor. what do you use? i'm afraid i'm going to be out in the pasture all night. think i have one more trying to have hers. i'm hoping this will be the last. i had plans for tomorrow night but i'm just to afraid that something will go wrong if i'm not there. guess i'm just funny that way.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:39 pm

Yeah, I'm the same way. I've got a heifer that looks like shes ready to pop. I've been watching her like a hawk because of the charloais bull thing. but I was wanting to go on a competion coon hunt with one of my buddies tommorrow night down in the delta but I hate to go if she hasn't calved yet. I'd have to leave at 5:00 and I probably wouldn't be back til 1:30 or 2:00 in AM. That's a little longer than I like to be away from them. I'll just have to see how things go, but I'd really like to go. I have a massey ferguson 261. It's about a 50 horsepower tractor. I'm renting about 275 acres and all I've got is a 6 foot bushog. It takes me forever! I'd like to get about an 85 or 90 hp tractor with a front end loader so I could get a bigger bushog and maybe some hay equipment in the future. I'd also like to build a big hay barn and stack all my hay out of the weather. It all takes time though.I'm fixing to go check the heifer maybe I'll get lucky.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:31 pm

NewCowboy wrote:Glad to see a fellow Mississippian on board, welcome.

What part of the state are you from newcowboy?
0 x

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:41 pm

you must have a long summer bushogging. you've got big dreams and i hope they all come true for you. you seem like you've got a good hold on what you want and how your going to get it. it all takes time i guess. see i've got all that but it was all given to me. or should i say passed down to me.

i've been lucky and my last one had her baby last night. everything went fine. hope you have a good time on your coon hunt. what does your wife say about you not coming home till 2:00 am? i hope yours has alsready had her baby so you can go on with your hunt and enjoy it. i'm going to go visit a few friends. we will have a good time. but my wife will want me home before 2:00 am.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:48 pm

Yeah I think it's just time and determination. Me and my buddy decided not to go way down in the Delta to that competition hunt so were just gonna go close here around the house so I can get in at a decent hour and check that heifer. I checked her right before dark and she was fine. We'll probably just hunt til 10 or so. My wife doesn't care if I stay out hunting late she probably just doesn't want me waking up her or the kids when I come in.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:48 pm

Yeah I think it's just time and determination. Me and my buddy decided not to go way down in the Delta to that competition hunt so were just gonna go close here around the house so I can get in at a decent hour and check that heifer. I checked her right before dark and she was fine. We'll probably just hunt til 10 or so. My wife doesn't care if I stay out hunting late she probably just doesn't want me waking up her or the kids when I come in.
0 x

redcherrys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby redcherrys » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:20 pm

ha ha. your probably right. my wife doesn't like for them youngens' to get woken up no matter what the reason. my night turned into a nothing. my buddy allen and his brother got into an arguement so he would join the rest of us. we were going to play cards. so we still had enough but ken and david got called away by their job. now i'm just flipping through the channels and trying to find a good seinfeld or maybe the poker matches they have on the travel channel. do you ever what those? its been a quiet day around here-kind of scary. wondering if its the calm before the storm. nothing has broke or a cow hasn't had problems. its been a rocky week for me. will be nice to get into bed early. if the girls will let me. they love for me to chase them all around the house.
0 x

mississippi
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mississippi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 pm

Man, I'll tell you what, we've just got too much in common, Seinfeld is my favorite show, has been for years, and my girls chase me all over the house too. My oldest daughter is three and a half and my youngest girl just turned two. We play hide and seek everynight, (inside). How many girls do you have? How old are they?Are you my age? I'm 30.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”