Hi! Im new here

Let us know who you are.
Ubaldo
Beginner
Beginner

Hi! Im new here

Postby Ubaldo » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:25 am

Hello there. Im Ubaldo (36 yrs) and live in Fresno California. I grew up around cattle when I was younger. Father past away 12 years ago and left it. Want to get back into it and was wondering what's the best cattle to breed. I'm sure there's a lot of different opinions.
0 x

jaydill
GURU
GURU

Postby jaydill » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 am

Welcome to the boards. And the answer to your question is...there's no best breed. The best breed for you depends on a number of factors. I'm not half as experienced as many on this board who can help you out with this question. But I can say you have to ask yourself a few basic questions:
Are you wanting to raise cattle for beef, dairy, or possible show prospects?
How much land do you have at your disposal?
How much money do you have to put into your operation?
Are you looking to make a profit, or are you just looking to have cattle as a pastime?

Hope I can help some,
Jay
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:50 am

Welcome, Ubaldo. You could get more answers to your question than Carter's got little pills! Everybody here thinks differently and thats the way I like it. In the long run, take jay's advice. Research and pick what is best for you. Good luck.(By the way, I like Longhorns) :cboy:
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby heritagefarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:48 pm

jaydill wrote:Welcome to the boards. And the answer to your question is...there's no best breed. The best breed for you depends on a number of factors. I'm not half as experienced as many on this board who can help you out with this question. But I can say you have to ask yourself a few basic questions:
Are you wanting to raise cattle for beef, dairy, or possible show prospects?
How much land do you have at your disposal?
How much money do you have to put into your operation?
Are you looking to make a profit, or are you just looking to have cattle as a pastime?

Hope I can help some,
Jay

Got to agree with Jay, except to say;
Belties are best!
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:57 pm

Welcome...IMO I'd talk with some breeders, visit some farms and see for yourself. Everyone likes the breed that they raise.
Determine what you are going to do with the cattle and how much time and resources you have to invest...tip: facilities first then cows...it will save you alot of trouble.
DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”