A newbie who's FULL of ???

Let us know who you are.
smallholder
Beginner
Beginner

A newbie who's FULL of ???

Postby smallholder » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:55 am

Good Morning! I'm a newbie who's full of questions. Hope I don't tire everyone out with them.

Have been reading the forum for weeks, gleaning as much wisdom as possible. Have come away with answers - and A LOT MORE questions!!!

Ever so wisely mounted my dish to a wooden post (no wisecracks, please!) which warps with temp fluctuations, so I'd better get my first question off before I lose signal for the morning:

While doing research in preparation for selling a registered Brahman bull, was dismayed to run across (Posted on Cattle Sales Forum on: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:14 pm):

"I hope your able to get rid of him. The only bad thing is that a 5 year old bull is pretty close to the end of his breeding duties. If he is a big bull there is a possibility that he could bring between $1000-$1500 pounded out at the local stockyard. Good luck."

I mean this guy is no show bull, or anything, but he's been a good, steady guy and seems to still have plenty of pep in his step! (And I've never seen anything like him RE: calf-sitting!)

When I sold my last herd bull - a Hereford - at about the same age, I was roundly criticized for selling too early because he was "just coming into his breeding prime" by my former vet.

Confused? Uh...you betcha!

Thanks for listening...and BOY! am I glad to be here!
0 x

CattleAnnie
GURU
GURU

Postby CattleAnnie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:21 am

Welcome aboard, Small.

Don't be shy about asking questions, most folks are decent enough about doing their best to answer them.

Anyway, we've found that once our bulls are six years old, their breeding soundness deteriorates, so they need to be sold and replaced by a younger animal.

We have a BSE exam done annually on any bull five years old or over so that we can be assured that he will have the ability to not only cover but impregnate the cows... better to find out before you turn your bull out that he's got fertility problems than wait for the fall and find out when you have open cows at preg-testing.

There are exceptions, but the oldest using bull we had was seven years of age -he was still reproductively fine but was starting to develop stifle problems.

Keep in mind that our bulls cover a lot of miles during the summer grazing season, so it's quite likely that someone with tame grass on home range may get more mileage from their bulls.

Hopefully some others will add their answers to your question. ;-)

Take care.
0 x
Unless Otherwise Directed, Leave All Gates As Found (Open or Closed)!

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 am

Howdy, small, and welcome to the boards.

As Annie said, different situations call for different answers. I think we could also add that what breed is also a factor in this. Some breeds seem to hold up longer.

My wife and I run a small Longhorn operation. A buddy has quite a bigger one and has a 12 yr. old bull that he still breeds a few cows to. Few being the operative word. He wouldn't be able to handle a lot of cows, but because of his genetics, he can still throw some fine calves. JMO
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

smallholder
Beginner
Beginner

Postby smallholder » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:13 am

Wow! That was quick!

Thanks, Annie!

The bull is on loan to a friend who'd lost a bull last year, but will be dropped off at the vet's before coming to the home ranch. I'd planned to have him checked over and his fertility tested. So, I really appreciate your heads up. Any other suggestions?

The last bull, although pure bred, was unpapered, and sold at a nearby sale barn. Caught grief for that one, too! At the time, I was happy with the price he brought. Maybe ignorance really is bliss.

After reading the boards, though, I'm getting the idea that sale barns= :mad: bad idea, and will try selling this guy myself.

****WARNING*****Here come more questions:

What's the best way to advertise? Local newspapers? (I can do the e-mail thing, but not computer savvy enough to set up a website or anything like that). How do I know how much to sell him for? If he doesn't sell, how long should I wait before coming down on his price? Should I renew membership in ABBA or have the new owner pay all cost of transferral? What method of payment? I've kept pictures of his offspring. Should I make them available to people who come by?

Ooooh boy!

All these questions make me just a teensy bit nervous!

Well, I DID warn put ****WARNING*****!!!!

:roll:
0 x

smallholder
Beginner
Beginner

Postby smallholder » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:22 am

Howdy Warpaint!

Great point. I'll be sure to ask the vet about that when I take him in. I just want to make sure the buyer gets their money's worth. If he's only got a couple of years left in him, that needs to be reflected in the price.

I just wish I had a big enough place to hold on to him for a few more years myself. But you have to be realistic.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”