Real wet behind the ears...

Let us know who you are.
ChiniMiniRex
Beginner
Beginner

Real wet behind the ears...

Postby ChiniMiniRex » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I have been lurking around for the last few months basically reading and looking at the pictures trying for the world to decide if what I like in cattle is what one is supposed to like...LOL! I think so far so good...alot of the cooments regarding body type and general structure I am grasping well, but ofcourse, no one is perfect and sometimes something catches my eye that probably shouldnt.

I dont yet have any cattle, but I do have the property for a few head. I dont have the fence up yet, and I dont have the shelter either, so that tells you just how soon I would be getting any. I am slightly limited on space, so the miniature breeds have really caught my eye, plus I can handle them easier. I have had horses in the past and am currently a member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, and the National Mini Rex rabbit Club - I have been raising show rabbits for close to 15 years both large and small scale. I have bred 6 class meat/show rabbits and with them, the heaviest meatiest animal that you can stuff into a short, DEEP, and WIDE package without losing the balance the better! Now that I am only raising strictly the Mini Rex breed (a 4lb rabbit compared to those 10-12lb'ers), I still havent been able to 'turn off' that meat production eye that I have and have been doing pretty well on the show tables with some pretty meaty 'widdle wabbits'. I also understand from the rabbit raising aspect that you MUST get the best quality that your pocketbook can afford if you want to ever have a chance at bettering your herd, and right now...all I COULD afford right now would be auction animals, and I am very lerry of that route for good reason! I auction my culls, and most are there for a reason.

Anywho, I just wanted to drop a line and say hi and all of that introduction stuff. I AM looking to get some miniature cattle for home production...predominantly beef, but maybe a few gallons of milk when the prices are getting too high at the grocery store. I dont think we would go more than 2 calves a year - if that even, but one calf is still a calf, and to have that you need a cow and more than just basic knowlege. Not too many cattle in this neck of the woods, and with that, I have no other choice than to resort to this board for information and help from seasoned raisers.

Thanks for reading, and please I hope I didint start out on the wrong foot!

Kelly :)

*post transplated from Beginners Board.
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi, Kelly. Welcome.

Lots of good folks here abouts. Never be afraid to ask. Just be prepared for the answers. ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

AngusLimoX
GURU
GURU

Re: Real wet behind the ears...

Postby AngusLimoX » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:15 pm

ChiniMiniRex wrote:Hi all,

I have been lurking around for the last few months basically reading and looking at the pictures trying for the world to decide if what I like in cattle is what one is supposed to like...LOL! I think so far so good...alot of the cooments regarding body type and general structure I am grasping well, but ofcourse, no one is perfect and sometimes something catches my eye that probably shouldnt.

I dont yet have any cattle, but I do have the property for a few head. I dont have the fence up yet, and I dont have the shelter either, so that tells you just how soon I would be getting any. I am slightly limited on space, so the miniature breeds have really caught my eye, plus I can handle them easier. I have had horses in the past and am currently a member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, and the National Mini Rex rabbit Club - I have been raising show rabbits for close to 15 years both large and small scale. I have bred 6 class meat/show rabbits and with them, the heaviest meatiest animal that you can stuff into a short, DEEP, and WIDE package without losing the balance the better! Now that I am only raising strictly the Mini Rex breed (a 4lb rabbit compared to those 10-12lb'ers), I still havent been able to 'turn off' that meat production eye that I have and have been doing pretty well on the show tables with some pretty meaty 'widdle wabbits'. I also understand from the rabbit raising aspect that you MUST get the best quality that your pocketbook can afford if you want to ever have a chance at bettering your herd, and right now...all I COULD afford right now would be auction animals, and I am very lerry of that route for good reason! I auction my culls, and most are there for a reason.

Anywho, I just wanted to drop a line and say hi and all of that introduction stuff. I AM looking to get some miniature cattle for home production...predominantly beef, but maybe a few gallons of milk when the prices are getting too high at the grocery store. I dont think we would go more than 2 calves a year - if that even, but one calf is still a calf, and to have that you need a cow and more than just basic knowlege. Not too many cattle in this neck of the woods, and with that, I have no other choice than to resort to this board for information and help from seasoned raisers.

Thanks for reading, and please I hope I didint start out on the wrong foot!

*post transplated from Beginners Board.

Welcome Kelly :D

( Caustic, is that you hiding in there? )
0 x
If it isn't Scottish - it's CRAP!! ( Does not apply to CAB ).

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:31 pm

Welcome...look forward to seeing some pics DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

ChiniMiniRex
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ChiniMiniRex » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:39 pm

Warpaint - I am pretty much always prepared to hear the worst about something, and I handle criticizm pretty good too...I am looking forward to everyones advice here when I get to the point of actually HAVING the animals here. Also from the rabbit boards, dealing with beginners and 4-H'ers, and just life in general - the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked in my book!

Susie - When we actually get some animals here, I will be sure to post some pics. Untill then I will probably just continue to lurk around and read the forums, that is unless I see something that I dont understand and need someone to explain it to me.

Angus and the rest - Thanks for the welcome!

0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”