new here hi

Let us know who you are.
K-SHIRES
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: new here hi

Postby K-SHIRES » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:54 am

dream catcher wrote:Just want to meet and talk with people that raise black angus Boy I do sound rude don't I sorry. I need to word this different. I don't mean it the way it sounds. I love to meet and talk to every one. SORRY
dream catcher - i just joined myself. Primarily a dairy farmer, but avid interst in black angus. Bred some Holstein cows to Black angus bull(AI) named KANSAN. The steers produced got real big with the help of some lenghty time chowing down gound ear corn Heh, Heh. Heh. The one heifer went into buddie's beef herd. One of the best brood cows he has. It's calves are some real studmuffins. didn't make me any milk, but what's life without a little fun?
Last edited by K-SHIRES on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The family that hays together stays together.

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:40 am

Welcome. have gotten away from staying with one breed. I run several breeds and some Heinze 57's. I like a little color in my herd. :lol:

If ya have to know, I have some blacks and reds. I also have some black and whites, red and whites, whites, creams, and tigers. Some with ear and some without ear. Guess I just like em all.
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.
flaboy

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: I'm new too

Postby heritagefarmer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:07 am

K-SHIRES wrote:
heritagefarmer wrote:Been reading these pages for a few days, and thought I'd join in
Call me a hobby farmer if you like, but I like rare breeds, started with a few belted Galloways,
I guess all you old pros will laugh, but hey, you may need our bloodlines one day! :roll:
Heritage farmer - is the red/white belted a Galloway? To produce strawberry oreo cow, HOW DO YOU GET THERE? A genetic roadmap, or was it just luck?

No, it's for real, they come in black, red and dun. Ours are black but they carry red genes, so a red bull would have a 50/50 chance of producing red babies.
0 x
If I win the lottery, I'll keep on farming until it's all gone!

K-SHIRES
Cowhand
Cowhand

R&W BELTEDS

Postby K-SHIRES » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:41 pm

heritage farming - We have been attempting to produce a few Dutch belted holsteins for our dairy herd. Used 10 straws of GoldDust, from bestyet sires in Illinois. So far had one heifer solid black, 2 bull calves same, only one heifer with a white belt. She's about 400 lbs now doing well. They have an RC belted bull, I was scheming that if I bred it to my Ayrshire cows I just might get a red&white belted dairy cow. Have yet to try it though.
0 x

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: R&W BELTEDS

Postby heritagefarmer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:12 pm

K-SHIRES wrote:heritage farming - We have been attempting to produce a few Dutch belted holsteins for our dairy herd. Used 10 straws of GoldDust, from bestyet sires in Illinois. So far had one heifer solid black, 2 bull calves same, only one heifer with a white belt. She's about 400 lbs now doing well. They have an RC belted bull, I was scheming that if I bred it to my Ayrshire cows I just might get a red&white belted dairy cow. Have yet to try it though.

I think the belt is fairly dominant, but a true Beltie has no other white aside from the belt. She's unlikely to throw belted calves either, unless you breed her back to Beltie again.
Why not just buy some Belties?
0 x
If I win the lottery, I'll keep on farming until it's all gone!

K-SHIRES
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: R&W BELTEDS

Postby K-SHIRES » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:29 pm

heritagefarmer wrote:
K-SHIRES wrote:heritage farming - We have been attempting to produce a few Dutch belted holsteins for our dairy herd. Used 10 straws of GoldDust, from bestyet sires in Illinois. So far had one heifer solid black, 2 bull calves same, only one heifer with a white belt. She's about 400 lbs now doing well. They have an RC belted bull, I was scheming that if I bred it to my Ayrshire cows I just might get a red&white belted dairy cow. Have yet to try it though.

I think the belt is fairly dominant, but a true Beltie has no other white aside from the belt. She's unlikely to throw belted calves either, unless you breed her back to Beltie again.
Why not just buy some Belties?

heritage farmer - Would Vincent Van Gogh buy a painting? Would Ernest Hemingway buy a book? I......think not!
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”