loading a horse in a trailer

Let us know who you are.
APRIL
Beginner
Beginner

loading a horse in a trailer

Postby APRIL » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:15 am

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a very nice 7 year old paint gelding that my brother has spoiled to death. I have tried and tried to get him to load in the trailer, but I just can't get him to load. By spoiled, I mean my brother feeds him snacks, little handfuls of sweet feed, etc. all day long. I am at work all day, and my brother is right there with the horse all day in his little workshop. I have asked my brother to feed the horse only in the trailer, and only what I have provided for him to eat, no snacks, etc. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions how I can get my horse to load without having to train my brother in the meantime?
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Re: loading a horse in a trailer

Postby Bez! » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:19 am

APRIL wrote:Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a very nice 7 year old paint gelding that my brother has spoiled to death. I have tried and tried to get him to load in the trailer, but I just can't get him to load. By spoiled, I mean my brother feeds him snacks, little handfuls of sweet feed, etc. all day long. I am at work all day, and my brother is right there with the horse all day in his little workshop. I have asked my brother to feed the horse only in the trailer, and only what I have provided for him to eat, no snacks, etc. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions how I can get my horse to load without having to train my brother in the meantime?

Why not go to "search" and type in "load, cannot load, will not load" - then hit the enter button.

There has been so much discussed on this topic you could write a book on it.

In fact if you go there and look up all the info you will be able to read right through until late tonight.

If you do not find the answer that works for you I will be surprized - it is a common problem and easily fixed. Unfortunately there are several different opinions on how to fix it.

Some will say training. Some will say feed. Some will say water. Some will argue their point all day - but only you will find what works for you.

Bez!
Last edited by Bez! on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Sarah317
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Sarah317 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:21 am

Hmm, that's a pickle. I'm assuming you want the horse to associate food with the trailer so he will willingly load. Sometimes bribes work but most people discourage them. The way I've always been taught is to not look at the horse and walk them right on. They will resist, but after a while it works.

Another way is to "nag" them onto the trailer. Use a crop, lunge whip or dressage whip to poke them in the right direction and when they make a step the right way, stop. Continue this process and he should load.

A third way is to use a longe line. Tie one end to the end of the trailer somewhere and slowly walk around the horse's rump. Horses are flighty and most likely will try to go forward away from the longe line (into the trailer).
0 x
Rest in peace my dears 317 & 312.

APRIL
Beginner
Beginner

loading a horse

Postby APRIL » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:34 am

Gosh, Bez, thanks for that! I wish I had posted my question here earlier.
0 x

Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Stepper » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm

April,

If you will go look in the horseboard section of this forum and then look under the heading horsetalk you will find a topic on loading horse's. The author was Slivercharm. I think you will find what you need to know about teaching a horse to load.
0 x

flaboy+
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy+ » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:24 am

Welcome April. Like others have said if you will post on the horse talk board or do a search you will get answers.

Before I offer any suggestions I would like to know what type of trailer it is. Straight load, slant, two horse side by side, one horse, stock trailer?
0 x
I'm so ugly it takes four bags to cover my face.
flaboy

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”