I guess I'm not new here but........

Let us know who you are.
randiliana
GURU
GURU

I guess I'm not new here but........

Postby randiliana » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:18 pm

It just occurred to me that I have never introduced myself. I am Randi, and am located in southwestern Saskatchewan, Canada. Currently we are running a 170 head cow/calf operation. We also have 8 horses, 15 sheep, and I have a flock of chickens which I am currently hatching eggs from. Along with the animals, I enjoy gardening, and reading.

At this moment in time, our calving season has just started, and we have 14 babies on the ground. Our cows are almost entirely British with various straight breds, and crosses between Hereford, Angus (red & black) and Shorthorn. The Shorthorns are MY baby, which took me over 5 years to talk my hubby into ;-) , and I am now working on getting a bull :P . We are entirely cow/calf, and the only calves we keep over are our replacements. Both myself and my husband have been involved with cattle all our lives, and have run our own herd for over 10 years.

Two Christmases ago I went to Lethbridge, AB and took a 5 day AI/pregchecking course, which I am now putting to use in our herd. My first calves have started to arrive, and so far we are quite impressed.

Anyways, hello, and I hope that I can be of assistance to someone, and that if I need it someone can be of assistance to me :D :D

Randi
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

AngusLimoX
GURU
GURU

Postby AngusLimoX » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:48 pm

Hiya Randi!

Never heard of the preg checking course?

Maybe something the semen purveyors leave out on the AI course! lol

Any sites/docs I could learn more?

This site has taught me alot about breeds and shorthorns seem to be under represented in the commercial/popular media in my area.

See you on the boards!
0 x
If it isn't Scottish - it's CRAP!! ( Does not apply to CAB ).

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:15 pm

AngusLimoX wrote:Hiya Randi!

Never heard of the preg checking course?

Maybe something the semen purveyors leave out on the AI course! lol

Any sites/docs I could learn more?

This site has taught me alot about breeds and shorthorns seem to be under represented in the commercial/popular media in my area.

See you on the boards!

It was through the Lethbridge Community College I think. And I think it was called AI and Pregchecking. Of course, I cannot legally pregcheck anyone elses cows, but then again I really have no desire to. The Western Producer had an ad and that was how I found out about it. They do have a website, but I will have to look it up.

Shorthorn's are under represented here to. But I was looking for something to add milk and that was quiet and easy to handle, and my husband wouldn't go for anything continental at the time. He said we had to stay British, so I said Shorthorn. Besides, I like to colors!!
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”