Glad to meet you. :)

Let us know who you are.
JeanneJ
Beginner
Beginner

Glad to meet you. :)

Postby JeanneJ » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi, I am new here. Live in Wisconsin, married, have 3 Grown Up Daughters, and horses right now. Not new to cattle, just new to the board. We sold our herd about 3 years ago and I MISS THEM. We have horses and I miss the cows eating the pasture the horses don't eat and I just plain miss having them around. So I am looking for a couple of steers, so anyone got any suggestions as to breed? we had angus but they are WAY OUT OF PRICE RANGE RIGHT NOW. I have heard Jersey steers sell pretty cheap. Anyone got any idea what the price of jersey steers would be? We have plenty of pasture, plus hay and extras too. We can't have young calves because we don't live there, we need some that are old enough to be out on pasture. Anyone got any suggestions for me? TIA, Jeanne
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm

Welcome...can't offer any advise on your area but up here most quality animals sell for pretty much the same price.
Could always take a trip to the sale barn but IMO this is not the time of year just to pick up a few head to keep you company...should be some bottle calves run through...sad to say but I've seen some with a dried umbilical cord still attached being sold.
DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Postby SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:16 pm

Welcome aboard! See my answer to your same question on the beginners board. ;-) :cboy:
0 x
Mike & LeeAnn Springer
Springer Farms Murray Grey's
http://springerfarms.com/

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:02 pm

Welcome aboard!
0 x

K-SHIRES
Cowhand
Cowhand

Fellow Wisconsinite

Postby K-SHIRES » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:50 am

Jeanne - Just joined recently as well. As dairy steers go, Jerseys and guernseys are the cheapest. You won't pay much, but you'll get even less when you sell them. Unless you are going to put them in family freezer, I would pass on those two breeds. A holstein, Swiss, or holstein cross would work much better.
Don't know where you are (WE are waaay to the north) but some sources you might check: Country Today newspaper out of Eau Claire classifieds. Agri - View paper out of Marshfield. Another good source would be to contact local EQUITY sale barn or NFO collection center rep. They often have 400-600 lb dairy steers in small groups coming thru. Hope you find some you like. Cheers.
0 x
The family that hays together stays together.

JeanneJ
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JeanneJ » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:10 pm

I am WAY DOWN SOUTH, 20 miles West of Madison, out by Dodgeville, Governor Dodge State Park, Cave of the Mounds,that area. I do check Country Today, Agri-View, and Wisconsin Farmer, haven't found exactly what I am looking for, of course, I really don't know exactly what I am looking for either. Nice to meet everyone and thanks for the advice. JeanneJ
0 x

born2run
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby born2run » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:03 pm

Welcome here :D
0 x
The world is like a mirror. Smile at it and it will smile back.

K-SHIRES
Cowhand
Cowhand

Finding steers

Postby K-SHIRES » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:19 pm

JeanneJ wrote:I am WAY DOWN SOUTH, 20 miles West of Madison, out by Dodgeville, Governor Dodge State Park, Cave of the Mounds,that area. I do check Country Today, Agri-View, and Wisconsin Farmer, haven't found exactly what I am looking for, of course, I really don't know exactly what I am looking for either. Nice to meet everyone and thanks for the advice. JeanneJ
Pretty country down there. Bought my bulk tank and pipeline at Mt. Horeb. You could put your own ad in farm paper - Wanted: 3 Dairy steers, 400 -600 lbs. xxxxx......
Probably get some response from farmers direct. I'd sell you a few m'self, but just too far away. Lots of Brown Swiss around New Glarus - Monroe. They're good if you stay above 400 lbs. Also, Milking Shorthorn or Ayrshire steers are a good value. Easy keepers, much more vigor than Jersey, plus they are a little easier on the eyes than Holstein( They're Pretty) Cheers
0 x
The family that hays together stays together.

JeanneJ
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JeanneJ » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:29 pm

One of the Guys on this board is from down around this area (Didn't know it when I came here) and he has Murray Greys so I think I am going to Whine and Dine Hubby a little bit and see if we can run up and take a look at his. Yes, it is PRETTY DOWN HERE, I work right outside of Mt. Horeb, our farm is about 30 miles West yet, out by the River. You think it is pretty here, you should see it out there. Thanks for the help. Jeanne
0 x

mitchwi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mitchwi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:42 pm

JeanneJ wrote:One of the Guys on this board is from down around this area (Didn't know it when I came here) and he has Murray Greys so I think I am going to Whine and Dine Hubby a little bit and see if we can run up and take a look at his. Yes, it is PRETTY DOWN HERE, I work right outside of Mt. Horeb, our farm is about 30 miles West yet, out by the River. You think it is pretty here, you should see it out there. Thanks for the help. Jeanne

JeanneJ - If the MG Breeder you are talking about is by the Wisconsin Dells area... His name is on the tip of my tongue and don't have my notes with me here. Anyway, he is a great guy, small herd, very nice cattle, he does have a couple cross cows around that are great too! His bull is awesome! He should have some great calves! Good luck! I visited with him last fall, and he does sell private if I remember correctly.
0 x
a woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is 'til you add hot water...

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”