Hello from Sask .

Let us know who you are.
Boldcat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Hello from Sask .

Postby Boldcat » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:38 pm

I found this site 3 days ago and love it .
I'm fairly new to cattle , Started into them 3 years ago after a back injury ended my stint at logging .
I have been raising bison for the last 13 years and am increasing my cattle herd , while at the same time decreasing my bison numbers .
I started out with a small herd of Simmentals and crossed them to Red angus . The bull was'nt cut out for hiefers so I learned to pull calves real fast .
The next year I got a AI tech to breed them and loved the results .
I had them AI'ed again last year and am experimenting a bit .
I hope to be taking a AI course next month .
I appreciate the frank answers and opinions on this site , especially on the animal evaluations .
I love it when a KNOWLEDGABLE person picks my animals apart .
It makes me a better producer :lol:
0 x

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Postby Gale Seddon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:18 pm

Hello and welcome....

Saw a group of bison not long ago near Madison, VA...magnificent animals!!!!...I neglected to take the camera with me (stupid). When they galloped across the field towards us, it was almost like they were in slow motion, just beautiful to watch. Interesting that they seemed to take turns rolling and bathing in dust. Only got to spend about a half hour there, but could have sat and watched them for hours. Was told that they can only have ONE bull with the herd and when they bring them all in a couple of times a year, they pretty much have to stampede them in the direction of the corrals and they have a few people in the pasture who kind of "pop up" to steer the group toward the pens. Wouldn't want to volunteer for that job myself.

Anyway, welcome again!
0 x

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:18 pm

Welcome aboard!
0 x

K-SHIRES
Cowhand
Cowhand

more hardworking Canadians!

Postby K-SHIRES » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:50 pm

Hello Boldcat - Logging to farming,eh? Sounds like you're from my neck of the woods. Would encourage you to go to AI school if you can. Gives you more control when you study bull books and do your own matings. plus you can really zero in to optimum time to breed a cow, as opposed to when an AI tech is available. AI breeding, our rotary disc mower, and good legume seed have been the 3 things with highest return on money for our farm. Cheers.
0 x
The family that hays together stays together.

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:59 am

Welcome...look forward to your posts...DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Welcom from another Saskatchwanian, although, I think you're probably further north than me :)
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Boldcat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Boldcat » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks for the welcome .
Gale , here's one the the old herd bulls on the farm .

Susie , I have in-laws in western WA . (dairy farmers)

Randiliana , I hope we get some warm weather , I,ve been doing 2 hour checks every night and I'm wiped .
0 x

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:58 pm

Boldcat wrote:.
Randiliana , I hope we get some warm weather , I,ve been doing 2 hour checks every night and I'm wiped .

I wouldn't mind some nicer weather either, although, it is pretty nice here for this time of year. It has been -10 at night and +2-3 in the day. Bearable for calving, although we have been having a few problems.
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog

Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Stepper » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 pm

Boldcat,

Welcome to the forum. I am new here myself. I was wondering what type of grass that was in the picture ? It is really green. Is it alfalha ?
0 x

Boldcat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Boldcat » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:34 pm

Randiliana , You must be in the south-west corner to have temps like that . I'm in the north east .
Two nights ago it was -28 at 5:00am .

Stepper , that pasture is an alfalfa - meadow brome mix .
I can't remember the ratio , it's been several years since it was seeded .
0 x

CattleAnnie
GURU
GURU

Postby CattleAnnie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:13 am

Welcome aboard, Boldcat.

I hear you about those calving checks...we're getting the same sort of arctic system here lately. Mercury in the low -20s and windchill has been closer to the -40s.

One of these days I'm expecting to meet myself coming back to the house as I'm trudging out to the barnyard. ;-)

Take care and stay warm.
0 x
Unless Otherwise Directed, Leave All Gates As Found (Open or Closed)!

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Boldcat wrote:Randiliana , You must be in the south-west corner to have temps like that . I'm in the north east .
Two nights ago it was -28 at 5:00am .

Yes, that is where I am at. Wow, am I glad we haven't got your weather. But, we have had it, and we likely will again.
0 x

Randi

My Blog

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby heritagefarmer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi, fellow Canadians, we need to get our numbers up to compete with these southerners!
I'm based in PEI and we've had hardly any winter at all this year, although we have some fresh snow today.
Grass is starting to green up, and we're hoping to get the smaller footed critture (sheep) out in a few weeks, as all the lambing is done, and the cattle out by end April.
0 x
If I win the lottery, I'll keep on farming until it's all gone!

Boldcat
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Boldcat » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:46 pm

I should be ashamed of myself . I had to go look at a map to see exactly where PEI was :oops:
Do you have any coyotes out there to play with your sheep ?
0 x

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby heritagefarmer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:42 pm

Boldcat wrote:I should be ashamed of myself . I had to go look at a map to see exactly where PEI was :oops:
Do you have any coyotes out there to play with your sheep ?

Yes! you should! :shock:
And did you find it?
It's very very small...but then to most Canadians, Eastern Canada means Toronto!
Got any snow yet?
Edmonton just got hit with a half metre :lol:
0 x
If I win the lottery, I'll keep on farming until it's all gone!

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”