best breed to raise in az

Let us know who you are.
msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:51 am

I have at least heard of Santa Cruz, don't remember when, where or in what context, though. Barzona's were completely new to me.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:09 am

dun wrote:Decide how and where you'll market your calves, then check in those markets to see what sells the best. Do eared calves take a dock, does black outsell other colors, is one breed discriminated against? After all of that, decide what breed you personally would like to raise, mix in the market information and go from there.

dun

once again the best advice on the board comes from ol dun :)
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:08 am

You know one of these days I am actually going to learn the names of all those warm weather breeds. :lol:

Bez!
0 x

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:19 am

what do you raise way up yonder Bez!?
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:23 am

buckaroo_bif wrote:what do you raise way up yonder Bez!?

Red white faces with the dreaded horn disease - horns reduce the taste by 30% but increase the tenderness you know. :lol:

Bez!
0 x

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:25 am

Bez! wrote:

Red white faces with the dreaded horn disease - horns reduce the taste by 30% but increase the tenderness you know. :lol:

Bez!

:lol: well no Bez! I didn't know that?
How is your weather situation up there have you had much moisture this winter???
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:28 am

buckaroo_bif wrote:
Bez! wrote:

Bez!

:lol: well no Bez! I didn't know that?
How is your weather situation up there have you had much moisture this winter???

It is about zero degrees F and snowing at present. The cows are laying out in the middle of the field on the snow and I am watching them - coffee in hand.

We have to do a little sorting today and then I might have to go over to a neighbour to help him with his animals - he is in the middle of calving and some of the girls got out - they are all in a fairly large bush - about 4 miles by 3 miles - give or take. He figures there will be at least 8 pairs in there and about 10 that could have popped over the past week.

Fortunately the weather has not dropped below minus 20 so calves will likely be fine.

Gonna' bait them with hay.

Another day in deep snow - yahoo. 8)

Bez!
0 x

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:33 am

well at least you are getting some snow. we have had .40 inch precip since last october. the rain just circles around us and goes east north and south evertime.
glad to hear your calves are doing good. let me know if you need a hand and i'll come up and help you tag some ears on em.
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:37 am

buckaroo_bif wrote:well at least you are getting some snow. we have had .40 inch precip since last october. the rain just circles around us and goes east north and south evertime.
glad to hear your calves are doing good. let me know if you need a hand and i'll come up and help you tag some ears on em.

Always have an extra steak laying around for guests.

Bez!
0 x

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:38 am

i got a few black calves now but i am having trouble finding some matching ears for em. you got any black ears?
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:43 am

buckaroo_bif wrote:i got a few black calves now but i am having trouble finding some matching ears for em. you got any black ears?

In fact I am almost afraid to admit this - but there are a few with black on them. Daughter number one likes her animals to be crossed with those dreaded and ohhhh so famous Black Angus.

So we tend to have a few pasture magpies in the herd. :lol:

Some day I will get her converted over to the true cattle breeds :lol: and out of the black stuff.

I am off to Yuma this coming April for a month and intend to hit a couple of the larger outfits down there. Ran across some horse and cattle folks when I met up with them at a penning demonstration late one night.

I look forward to seeing how the folks in the desert make a living on cactus and dead grass. All I ever see when I am working down there is donkeys, wild horses and really small coyotes.

Bez!
0 x

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:48 am

I would like to know what they raise in Yuma too. Last time i was in Yuma me and a guy was sitting in a bar and the building started shaking and glasses and bottles went to rattling around. Next thing we knew everbody was running outside. So we looked at each other in amazement and followed them. Turned out it was an earthquake! heck I never been in an earthquake. El Centro California got hit pretty hard and we could feel it there in Yuma some 60 miles away. We were driving to Sand Diego the next day and portions of the freeway had just fell in the ground and sunk!
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:49 am

Heck, the last time I was in Yuma, was for desert training. Lived in a puptent for a month. Talk about gettin back to nature! 8)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:50 am

warpaint wrote:Heck, the last time I was in Yuma, was for desert training. Lived in a puptent for a month. Talk about gettin back to nature! 8)

:shock: any earthquakes?
0 x

just learning
Beginner
Beginner

whats the best breed to raise in az

Postby just learning » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:55 am

thanks everyone for there advice muchly appreciated i will take a look at things and start small to see what happens and keep my fingers crossed this is something always wanted to try so i'll giver a go thanks again
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”