Howdy!

Let us know who you are.
waintx
Beginner
Beginner

Howdy!

Postby waintx » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:47 pm

Well, I came online looking for info about placenta retention, and couldn't seem to stop reading, so found myself signing up!

I own no cows, so y'all can rag on me as much as you want (yeah, I've seen how brutal you can be!) lol. I can take it.

My dad bought a couple Angus/Limo heifers two years ago who were supposedly bred to an angus bull upon purchase. Spring rolled around and dad was peeking under those girls every morning hoping for swelling bags, but we never got calves. So last summer he decided to bring over the neighbor's angus bull to meet his new girlfriends, figuring if they didn't breed this time, they'd go to the meat locker. Never saw the bull cover either heifer, nor even show interest in them, so figured it might be a lost cause. Lo and behold, they started bagging up a couple weeks ago, and last wednesday he had himself a nice little bull calf in the pasture.
But, as he isn't a cattleman and the two he has are simply to provide some table meat from a reliable and safe source, he was concerned when the cow didn't pass the afterbirth, and started calling vets, while I got online.
The vet's number is still at the ready, but he'll give it a few more days thanks to y'all's comments. Momma's eating fine and is actually quite defensive of little T-bone. Dad can't get near him!

Awesome sight y'all contribute to. It's now in my list of favorites for easy access when I am bored and want to entertain and educate myself!

-Tracy
0 x

Calman
GURU
GURU

Postby Calman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:44 am

Welcome Tracy:
A bunch of fine men and women here.

Cal
0 x
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" Thomas Paine

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Welcome....never saw our cows get covered either, some bulls work the night shift and all are claving now. Some cows are really quick in eating the placenta and you never see it, just keep an eye on her, should stop weeping in a few days.
DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

cricket
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cricket » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:24 pm

welcome Tracy

i'm new here too. you can get alot of information on here.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”