new person, got question but dont know where it is to go.

Let us know who you are.
sandy3boys
Beginner
Beginner

new person, got question but dont know where it is to go.

Postby sandy3boys » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:37 am

Hi, i am currently taking a course in animal care, and right now they are talking about Bang's disease. (Brucellosis). Can someone please help me understand it. i know it is contagious in cattle. But The question that i got asked i still am thriving on it. The question is : To prevent Brucellosis, als know as Bang's disease, government vets test which one of the following animas on a regular basis?
a.) Birds imported from foregin countires
b.)Cattle or Bovine species
c.)All pets owned by U.S. military personnel
d.)Poultry intended for human consumption..

I say it is b, but my instructor also said that ALL DAIRY ANIMALS must be tested on a periodic basis. ? i dont know this is really starting to get confusing for me. Can someone PLEASE help me understand this question. that would be great..
Thank you :idea:
0 x

cricket
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cricket » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:57 am

i say b too
0 x

sandy3boys
Beginner
Beginner

Postby sandy3boys » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:59 am

thats waht i think as well but bovine species? what are they? arent they cattle as well?
0 x

cricket
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cricket » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:06 am

yes
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:53 am

It is B. Bovine means cattle; cows, bulls, calves. Doesn't matter what breed. Holstein (dairy) or Angus (beef).

As far as I remember, there are approx six different types of brucellosis that affect different species and all caused by different types of "brucella _____". Horses can get brucellosis, dogs get brucellosis (most fancy stud dogs require a negative brucellosis test on the b-tch within so many days prior to breeding), birds get a strain of brucellosis too, but, they're all different strains and different than what affects CATTLE. The one that affects cattle is known as "Bangs disease".

Cows aren't...TESTED...on a regular basis, but they are VACCINATED. Some states are brucellosis free and have a status where no animals are required to be vaccinated. Others are "free", but all cows/heifers/females must be vaccinated. Others are not "free" and all cows must be vaccinated and tested prior to crossing state lines.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:11 pm

Welcome....read up on the methods of transmission for bangs.
Should explain why the girls get their first ear jewelry and tattoo after four months of age...females are vaccinated, has to be done by a vet, they get an ear tag and ear tattoo to identify them as vaccinated. Dave Mc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”