Calf pulling

Let us know who you are.
bp8641
Beginner
Beginner

Calf pulling

Postby bp8641 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:09 am

Hello,"I have recently { last summer } gotten back into raising a few cows sence I retired,we have done some traveling and are happy now to just kick around home here making the sales and so on," this year so far we have had to pull 2 calves,and I must say its about all an old man can do,"so I thought I would toss out the "" QUESTION "" does any body have any good ideas about how to pull calves,and does anyone know of a device available on the market for pulling calves ??
0 x

gtcattle
Beginner
Beginner

Postby gtcattle » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:04 am

I don't know what type of cattle you are raising, but we try very hard to raise animals that are hands free at birth. We have F-1's w/a low BW black angus bull. And yes they do make a device for pulling calves, however, (IMO) I would concentrate on low BW and quick gain on your calves. The low BW would reduce the stress on your momma's and add longevity as well. It works for us!
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:25 am

Ahh...another seasoned traveler on life's pathway...welcome.

Alot of calf pullers on the market and can do some real damage to both cow and calf if not used properly...they are an assist device not a winch to yard a calf out into the world.
Alot of good posts on pulling. Recently Cattle Annie posted some good info. Were your pulls from heifers?

Ain't retirement great!!! :lol:
Dave Mc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

bp8641
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bp8641 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:18 am

Our Cattle are Hereford,yes retirement is great,but '' RETIRED AND YOUNG WOULD BE BETTER,but having an interest in something productive helps make up the difference-at least for us anyways,"where might a person order one of these calf pullers,"I'd like to be prepaired for the next round,"thanks for the come back,"I appreciate it.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:23 am

Valleyvet has them, NASCO, etc. There are dozns if not hundreds of brands.
Rather then spend the money, why not just get tied up with someone that already has one and will let you use it if you should need it. In 40 plus years we've needed a calfjack exactly twice.

dun
0 x

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:35 pm

I dont know how you breed them if you have a bull or have them AI'ed but try getting some calving ease bulls in them to help with the calf size. We run about 200 commercial angus/hereford and some simmintal sprinkled in and have not pulled one calf in the last 2 years. Also, I realize since you just have a few cows this may not be applicable but for our replacement heifers we have them hip checked and they check vertical and horizontal, if the measurements are below a certain size we dont keep them, that and calving ease bulls is sure the way to go, no matter what you do pulling calves is never nice and easy on the cow or the person.
0 x

flaboy-
Rancher
Rancher

Postby flaboy- » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:37 am

bp8641, I would suggest you get hooked up with someone who has done this a time or two rather than just hooking up a puller and yanking away. Might do more harm than good.

Like Dun said, you should only need a puller like this once in a blue moon. Most times you can manually reposition the calf so that you can just help the cow out. I have used ropes and muscle 99% of the time. I can remember one time I had to get a tractor involved. Yes, the cow made it also. Maybe a couple of other time I had a helper and one time a pulley and rope.

Try to get someone ready with experience if possible to stand by if you should need to pull one. Most Herefords I have seen have very little problems with birthing. JM $.02
0 x

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:20 pm

bp...,
A retired rancher! :o Never heard of such. :D You have earned the right. Get a calving ease bull. haven't pulled a calf in years. Have helped mom reposition one or two. If I had to pull a small rope and a come-a-long is suffient. If more is needed ...better off summoning a vet.

Enjoy your second career...with time for other things.
0 x
G. Preston
"Without Christ you are alone....can you handle it?"
If you must doubt something...doubt your limits.

preston39
GURU
GURU

Postby preston39 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:23 pm

BlackBaldyMan wrote:I dont know how you breed them if you have a bull or have them AI'ed but try getting some calving ease bulls in them to help with the calf size. We run about 200 commercial angus/hereford and some simmintal sprinkled in and have not pulled one calf in the last 2 years. Also, I realize since you just have a few cows this may not be applicable but for our replacement heifers we have them hip checked and they check vertical and horizontal, if the measurements are below a certain size we dont keep them, that and calving ease bulls is sure the way to go, no matter what you do pulling calves is never nice and easy on the cow or the person.

===========
B..B...Man,

Does that include pelvic? If so what are your desired minimums?
0 x
G. Preston

"Without Christ you are alone....can you handle it?"

If you must doubt something...doubt your limits.

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”