Anybody have a night worker?

Let us know who you are.
rowdy4sure
Beginner
Beginner

Anybody have a night worker?

Postby rowdy4sure » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:56 am

Hey you all. I just found this site today as I was sitting thinking who to ask a few cattle quetions to. Maybe somebody will have something to say about it. The more the merrier. lol. My name Is Rowdy and I live 30 miles south of Dallas Tx. I have recently started raising a few head of cattle and having a great time. All my cows and bull are pretty tame. I can pet most of them and the bull is a 1700 pound Angus beauty. He is young (between 2 and 3 years old) and tame as can be. I have 3, 5 to 6 year old cows that have had calves in the past 6 months. I have never seen this guy breed nor mount any of the cows to rebread them. He will put his nose there and then turn his top lip up or sometimes even act as if he is breeding the air if you can imagine, but never seen him mount a cow. I have seen the cows and hefiers try to mount him... Should I be worried? He sure is a nice looking bull but I need bread in the oven.lol. Thanks and help if you can. Rwody P.S. Do they work at night?[/list]
0 x

mitchwi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mitchwi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:43 am

Welcome Rowdy! Yes they work at night, 24/7. If he is in working order. I have a question for you... are you keeping a bull for 3 cows? If I read your post right... Since you are new you can do a lot of research on these boards and find very usefull information. You may try doing a search on AI vs Bull or a combination of those.

Michele
0 x
a woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is 'til you add hot water...

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:45 pm

Yeah, they work at night, unlike the human though they dont breed for pleasure. The lip up means the bull is getting a pheromone out of the urine that is produced in certain times of the cows cycle. With the bull with them there probily wont be much of a chance to see the cows riding each other, but after a cow has been bred (takes about 3 seconds ;-)) her tail will stick out for a little bit with a kink in the middle. As for being worried, I might be worried if I saw one cow riding another and the bull not paying any attention to that, but if the bull is content and the cows are allways content sounds normal to me, hope that helped a little.
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Never saw our bull cover a cow but all calved this month. He must have gotten up earlier than I did. Of course...being told that you have the prowess of a bull isn't a compliment...they are usually on for 3.5 to 5 seconds per mount...good thing that they remount quickly. Could have blinked and missed the event?
DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”