Hi, new gal here

Let us know who you are.
IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Hi, new gal here

Postby IluvABbeef » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi I'm kinda new here, I just started reading this Q and A forum a few days ago and what do you know, i've decided to become a member! I have plenty of cattle experience, but not in the cow-calf operations like you veterans have. I'm also interested (lets say eager) to learn anything and everything about horses, since the only stuff I know came from reading non-fictional horse stories... I was born on a mixed farm where we raise feeder steers and grow barley and canola. I first was told about this site from my prof in an Animal science 200 course at the U of Alberta... I'm majoring in Animal Science, by the way, and will have plenty of questions on cattle, horses, etc. when they come to mind.

Karin

p.s I KNOW someone's gonna ask where the heck Barrhead is ;-) ... fire away!! [/i]
0 x

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Re: Hi, new gal here

Postby randiliana » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:20 pm

Welcome Karin!!
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

GURU
GURU

Postby 1848 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:36 pm

IluvABbeef wrote:p.s I KNOW someone's gonna ask where the heck Barrhead is ;-) ... fire away!! [/i]

Where is Barrhead?
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:51 pm

Been there many times.

You wanna' tell them or leave them guessing for a bit?

Bez!
0 x

IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby IluvABbeef » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Hey Bez! I don't know whether I should or not: tough choice! I could almost suggest them to look on an atlas, but then again them atlas-makers... you can't trust them! When have you been around there?
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Welcome Karin...plenty of good free advise and alot of fun reading. Look forward to your posts...even though some won't admit it, most of the folks really like to see pics of other folk's stock and place.
Sue & Dave Mc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:20 pm

IluvABbeef wrote:Hey Bez! I don't know whether I should or not: tough choice! I could almost suggest them to look on an atlas, but then again them atlas-makers... you can't trust them! When have you been around there?

Spent a large part of my life near Cold Lake and over in Fairview - north of Grande Prairie. Was based in Red Deer for a time with a major oil company while we set up our operation in the north west part of the country. Worked the Milk River area for a bit and managed to do the Hinton area as well. Been all over that place.

Now in a rather politically correct part of Canada. Came here in 2002. I intend to drag us all back there some day - sooner the better. We are two hours apart (time zone wise) and I am east of you - so that should shed some light on my territory. :lol:

If there is a part of your territory that I have not worked, hunted, chased cattle or flown over, I would be surprized.

Some say every west bound lane of every highway in Canada is beat to heck - getting to the jobs in your part of the world.

It is late here and I plan to hit the hay should the girls here leave me alone for a bit. Daughter has a bunch of them in working on an ag project and they are constantly nagging me for info.

You still in school? Planning to expand the animal science into something else?

Will look for your reply tomorrow - best regards,

Bez!
Last edited by Bez! on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:26 pm

IluvABbeef wrote:Hey Bez! I don't know whether I should or not: tough choice! I could almost suggest them to look on an atlas, but then again them atlas-makers... you can't trust them! When have you been around there?

whats wrong wtih atlas-makers?
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby IluvABbeef » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:34 am

Beefy wrote:

whats wrong wtih atlas-makers?

I didn't say anything was wrong with em, I was just sayin that sometimes they "forget" to put Barrhead on the map (hint: I mean atlases that cover the world, not just North America in general)
Jeez, quit pullin my leg!!
To the rest of you, I appreciate "hearing" from you all, means a lot to me
Includin you, Beefy!

Karin
0 x

IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby IluvABbeef » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:50 am

Bez! wrote:

Spent a large part of my life near Cold Lake and over in Fairview - north of Grande Prairie. Was based in Red Deer for a time with a major oil company while we set up our operation in the north west part of the country. Worked the Milk River area for a bit and managed to do the Hinton area as well. Been all over that place.

Now in a rather politically correct part of Canada. Came here in 2002. I intend to drag us all back there some day - sooner the better. We are two hours apart (time zone wise) and I am east of you - so that should shed some light on my territory. :lol:

If there is a part of your territory that I have not worked, hunted, chased cattle or flown over, I would be surprized.

Some say every west bound lane of every highway in Canada is beat to heck - getting to the jobs in your part of the world.

It is late here and I plan to hit the hay should the girls here leave me alone for a bit. Daughter has a bunch of them in working on an ag project and they are constantly nagging me for info.

You still in school? Planning to expand the animal science into something else?

Will look for your reply tomorrow - best regards,

Bez!

Yeah Bez!, I'm still in school, just finishing up my first year as undergrad here at the U of Alta. I'm planning to specialize in beef and horses, since beef is something I've known and familiar with since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. :lol: And I have a strong interest in horses, though my experience with them is about the size of the end of my little finger. I know just as much about cow-calf industry, funny I should say! :shock: Looking forward to learn a lot of new things, and a reply from you as well.

Karin
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:52 am

no worries, Karin. i'm no atlas-maker. just a cartographer. i'll tell Rand to keep an eye out.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby IluvABbeef » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:56 am

1848 wrote:
IluvABbeef wrote:p.s I KNOW someone's gonna ask where the heck Barrhead is ;-) ... fire away!! [/i]

Where is Barrhead?

Here's a hint: if you know where Edmonton is, it's an hour and a half's drive north of that city. 'Bout 30 miles West of Westlock :D :D
0 x

IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby IluvABbeef » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:59 am

Beefy wrote:no worries, Karin. i'm no atlas-maker. just a cartographer. i'll tell Rand to keep an eye out.

;-) ;-) Keep an eye out for what? ;-) ;-)
0 x

IluvABbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby IluvABbeef » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:08 am

Susie David wrote:Welcome Karin...plenty of good free advise and alot of fun reading. Look forward to your posts...even though some won't admit it, most of the folks really like to see pics of other folk's stock and place.
Sue & Dave Mc

We don't have any stock that stays around long, because the feeder steers that we raise are bought and trucked from Grande Prairie (Bez! will tell you where that is...), stay on our farm for about a year t grow an all, then sold and trucked back out to the local feedlot to get finished before sendin them to a meat plant. and the cycle continues. I could send a few pics of our layout IF an WHEN we get a scanner... :oops: ;-) :lol:

yours, Karin
0 x

GURU
GURU

Postby 1848 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:59 am

IluvABbeef wrote:
1848 wrote:

Where is Barrhead?

Here's a hint: if you know where Edmonton is, it's an hour and a half's drive north of that city. 'Bout 30 miles West of Westlock :D :D

Oh :)
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”