Grandaughter Trying to Modernize Grandpa's Farming Practices

Let us know who you are.
UbiCaritas
Beginner
Beginner

Grandaughter Trying to Modernize Grandpa's Farming Practices

Postby UbiCaritas » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:19 pm

:cboy: Hi! I'm in my early 30s and have recently made the switch from Corporate America back home to rural Eastern Washington. My grandfather raises beef cattle-- about 50 head of brood cows on 160 acres. They're Hereford/Pinzgaur cross with some Simmental in there somewhere. I have a lot of responsibility for the health of the cattle now, but have little experience with essential things like nutritional content of feeds, medication, etc. My immediate problems all revolve around calving. I have a couple of cows who've rejected their calves and haven't necessarily cleaned. I have cows with no milk. I have a calf who's looking for a mother, and a cow looking for a baby, but the cow wants nothing to do with that baby. I have a cow raising a large bull calf, but she has serious diarrhea with mucus in it, and the calf is looking gaunt. I have a calf with a congenital cataract on one eye, but she seems otherwise healthy and she's growing well. Finally, I have a pair of twins, one of whom is with the mother and one of whom is being bottle-raised, and neither of whom is growing. So, I'm fairly overwhelmed! I'll be posting specific questions on appropriate boards. Any general help would be appreciated!

Emily
0 x

Rough'n'Ready Plantation
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Rough'n'Ready Plantation » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:32 am

I'd start by vaccinating all your cows with a 4 way virus + Lepto vaccine and your calves with a 7 way Clostridium. You need to deworm your cows at least twice a year, maybe more depending on your climate. Also, look into feed rations to make sure your cows are getting enough crude protein and tdn (total digestible nutrients). The cow with severe diarrhea may have BVD. Not sure about the cataract, you might be mistaking it for pinkeye.

In the long run you will want to cull all the cows that don't milk or show poor maternal skills (not accepting calves, etc.) If the twins are of the same sex they'll be fertile, but if not the female will probably be sterile (called freemartins). Hope this helps some...
-Lee
0 x
"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"- John Wooden

mitchwi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mitchwi » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:59 am

It sounds like you have several possible different situations occuring. I think I would start with vet check herd along with their de-worm and vaccinations. By running them all through the chute with vet, you can tag, any that aren't, vacc and de-worm and point out the cattle you think have prob's and vet can medicate if necessary. This will also give you a chance at learning to do the vaccinations, and if you have a decent vet they will teach you and let you get some practice in. At same time, I would see if your local ag ext agent could be available to help you out with whatever feed/mineral program you are on or need to be on, this way he can see each of your cattle. Between the 3 of you, you should be able to come up with a game plan on sorting and feeding differently if needed or sending to sale barn or whatever. Good luck!
0 x
a woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is 'til you add hot water...

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Grandaughter Trying to Modernize Grandpa's Farming Pract

Postby msscamp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:02 pm

UbiCaritas wrote::cboy: I have a lot of responsibility for the health of the cattle now, but have little experience with essential things like nutritional content of feeds, medication, etc.
Emily

Hi UbiCaritas! Welcome to the boards! If you can find (or order) a copy of Morrison's Feeds and Feeding that will help you a lot as far as nutritional content of different feeds and feeding your cattle. Also, most of the big drug makers - Phizer is the only one I can think of at the moment, sorry - have websites that will list their products and what they are used for. Might want to look up a copy of Merck's Veterinary Handbook, too. If there is a college in your town, check out their bookstore for possibilities, then you can probably do a search and obtain the books for way less money. You might also want to check out Temple Grandin for methods of handling cattle calmly and safely and for insight into how they think and react. Finally, check out your neighbors operations and ask questions - most rancher's love talking about their cows! Just a few suggestions that might come in handy in your endeavor. I wish you the best, and again, welcome! :)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Grandaughter Trying to Modernize Grandpa's Farming Pract

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:18 pm

UbiCaritas wrote::cboy: Hi! I'm in my early 30s and have recently made the switch from Corporate America back home to rural Eastern Washington. My grandfather raises beef cattle-- about 50 head of brood cows on 160 acres. They're Hereford/Pinzgaur cross with some Simmental in there somewhere. I have a lot of responsibility for the health of the cattle now, but have little experience with essential things like nutritional content of feeds, medication, etc. My immediate problems all revolve around calving. I have a couple of cows who've rejected their calves and haven't necessarily cleaned. I have cows with no milk. I have a calf who's looking for a mother, and a cow looking for a baby, but the cow wants nothing to do with that baby. I have a cow raising a large bull calf, but she has serious diarrhea with mucus in it, and the calf is looking gaunt. I have a calf with a congenital cataract on one eye, but she seems otherwise healthy and she's growing well. Finally, I have a pair of twins, one of whom is with the mother and one of whom is being bottle-raised, and neither of whom is growing. So, I'm fairly overwhelmed! I'll be posting specific questions on appropriate boards. Any general help would be appreciated!

Emily

Glad to have you Emily, I am just south of you in Pullman going to school at WSU and majoring in the Animal Science program here. Glad to hear you modernizing the farm, that is my plans after school as we run about 250 cows on 1300 acres on the westside just south of Olympia, anyways Welcome!
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”