Howdy all...

Let us know who you are.
Carnivore
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Howdy all...

Postby Carnivore » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:29 pm

My story...

Because of Mad Cow disease and Y2K, decided to get my own cows and eat them. Besides, after the fence was built, it was easier to let the cows mow the acreage.

After fencing 5 acres, I bought a two bred American Shorthorn cows, (one was a heifer) with momma cow (the old gal), who had a little heifer. So, I had a herd of three, with two on the way.

About 8 months later, had a herd of 5, then ate momma cow.

So, then we had a herd of 4, with and one of the little guys was a bull calf, (Bully Boy) and the most amazing thing happened. About 9 months later, he got the three other cows pregnate, including his sister (little girl) who was only a couple weeks older than he.

9 months later, the three calves came, and Bullly Boy kicked his Little Girl's calf out of the fence, and we found her the next morning, bawling in our front yard. By then, Little Girl wouldn't have anything to do with her calf, so I called some friends with 5 boys, who had a little acreage and gave the calf away, and they hand raised her, (her name ended up being Moo).

With two more calves due any time, I didn't want a repeat, so we called the slaughterer, and we ate Bully Boy. Then, the two next calves came, and the first heifer (named Wartnose) was now calving for the first time, and she didn't want her calf either, she head butted it all accross the pasture and out side the fence. By then, I was REALLY disgruntled with calves and cows, but figured I would let nature take it's course, with only a little help from me. So, I put the little guy, (named One Nut) back in the fence, and some how Wartnose figured it out, and began nursing One Nut.

In addition, our other heifer (named White Heifer) had a calf from Bully Boy, and we named it Pretty Girl.

So, we now had three cows and two calves, and when we finshed eating Bolly Boy, we ate Little Girl, since she obviously wasn't going to be a good mother.

BTW, the 5 boys raised Moo to be a year and a half old, and they then ate her. Moo had proven to be an escape artist, breaking out of the pasture all the time to be with the family, so they decided to end every one's suffering.

This fall, we made a choice to quit having calves, and start buying a steer a year, raising him and then eating him. So, we were going to slaughter our 2 oldest cows, but when the portable slaughter truck quit, and there was no one to come and do the deed, we had a buyer for one of the cows back out when I decided to slaughter, hand and butcher myself.

So, after Thanksgiving, me and a friend killed White Heifer, slaughtered her and hung her in the garage for 10 days, during which time I got real sick with the flu.

When butchering day came, I was very ill, so we put it off a couple more days, but then the weather started warming so we had to get her in the freezer.

Well, the meat saw I had purchased on E-bay was a real piece of crap, so we just butched her like whe was a game animal, and I am eating half of her, and my friend is eating the other half. (We took scraps to butcher for burger).

Present day, we now have Wartnose, White Heifer's calf who is now 2 years old and really horney, and ole One Nut. Oh, forgot to tell you about One Nut.

He gets his name from a screwed up banding process, where we got the whole nut sack but only one testical. So, his one nut is up against his body, thus rendering him infertile.

Now, back to present day. Wart Nose turned out to be a real good mother to One Nut, and Pretty Girl grew up to be a nice looking heifer, and the other day, I decided to go get hay for them. When picking up hay, the people I got the hay from had some Black Angus yearling bulls for sale, but they looked a little scrawny to me, but told them I would likely take one.

Then, in the paper someone was advertising Angus yearling bulls, so I called him and decided to go take a look. Well, I was very impressed with the bulls he was selling, (Red Angus purebreds), and after visiting with the bulls momma and daddy for a while, decided to spend $1200 on this yearling Red Angus bull. He looks real good to me, and figured I would let him take care of Wart Nose and Little Girl, take a look at his calves and then possibly rent his services out, if he does a nice job with my two girls. (We will eat One Nut this fall, or earlier if he and the new bull don't get along).

Anyway, after spending the bucks on the bull, (we have named him Admiral because we want his semen (you know, seamen, get it), he is due to be delivered tomorrow.

BTW, Admiral comes from the Red Angus linnege of the Leachman Red Angus, from Heaven or Bust, (for what that is worth). I look forward to having you guys and gals give me your opinion of him.

So, that's my history with cattle, thought you all might want a good laugh. If Admiral doesn't work out, we can always eat him... :D
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:36 pm

Welcome...sounds like you have quite an operation starting there. What part of WA are you located in, good to see more folks from the north west on the board, we have our own set of problems not unique but a bit different.
Did you get the new bull in Springdale?
DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Welcome to the boards, Carnavore. Based on your story, you have a very apt screen name, btw. :lol: :lol: :lol: Good people with good experience and advice here, I hope you enjoy yourself. :)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Welcome Carnavore,

Yes I am curious as to what part of WA you are from as well, glad to see another Washintonian!
0 x

Carnivore
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Carnivore » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:04 am

Haven't been trying to make money off the cattle, just have a supply of clean, steriod/disease free food. But, with the arrival of Admiral, that might change. Eating a cow a year isn't hard if you feed a bunch of people per year like we do.

As far as part of WA, we are in Onalaska, which is East of Centralia/Chehalis, and West of Morton.

I'll try to get a photo of Admiral up tomorrow. It was sure a rodeo today getting him loaded into the trailer.
0 x

Carnivore
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Carnivore » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:06 am

Susie David wrote:Did you get the new bull in Springdale?
DMc

No, got him locally here. He is a year old, and weighs 1275# as of today.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:16 am

Carnavore wrote:Eating a cow a year isn't hard if you feed a bunch of people per year like we do.

I hear you on that! If I offended, I very sincerely apologize - it was not my intent.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Carnivore
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Carnivore » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:28 pm

msscamp wrote:
Carnavore wrote:Eating a cow a year isn't hard if you feed a bunch of people per year like we do.

I hear you on that! If I offended, I very sincerely apologize - it was not my intent.

No offense taken. BTW, pix of "Admiral" up on the Breeds board.
0 x

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Carnavore wrote:Haven't been trying to make money off the cattle, just have a supply of clean, steriod/disease free food. But, with the arrival of Admiral, that might change. Eating a cow a year isn't hard if you feed a bunch of people per year like we do.

As far as part of WA, we are in Onalaska, which is East of Centralia/Chehalis, and West of Morton.

I'll try to get a photo of Admiral up tomorrow. It was sure a rodeo today getting him loaded into the trailer.

Yeah I know where it is, grew up around there in Tenino :cboy:
0 x

wbfarms
Beginner
Beginner

hi

Postby wbfarms » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:59 pm

hi carni!
0 x

Carnivore
Trail Boss
Trail Boss