New Father !! Dumb Gender Question

Let us know who you are.
tom tiboney
Beginner
Beginner

New Father !! Dumb Gender Question

Postby tom tiboney » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:41 am

This is a serious question, sorry for the ignorance.

How can I tell the gender of my 5-day old calf ?? I was out of town when we calved, I just got back yesterday. My stepdaughter witnessed the birth & claims it's a boy because of the bump (naval ??) on the bottom of the belly, claiming it's a penis. But yesterday I saw the calf urinate, from the rear, it's gotta be a girl right?? Nobody believes me because of the bump/tuff of hair on the bottom of the stomach.

This is a serious question. If it's a boy it would urinate under the stomach area right, just like my horses. I see no testicles but it is only days old. I need to know because if it is a boy I want to castrate it.

Back in Oct. we got a dwarf hereford for a pet, Ms.Dixie. By the end of of Nov. she was getting bigger & bigger. We had no idea she was pregnant, nor did the previous owners.

Well she gave birth last friday night, just squeezing out a march calve. We really have very little (actually zero) knowledge of cows, so this help is much appreciated.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:34 am

Boys in the middle, girls in the back. You are correct.

dun
0 x

tom tiboney
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tom tiboney » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:37 am

So a girl will still have a bump in the middle of stomach? Similar to the tuff of hair a bull would have? All I see is whats left of the the umbilical cord.
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:51 am

tom tiboney wrote:So a girl will still have a bump in the middle of stomach?

Maybe - maybe not -as some do and some do not.

Similar to the tuff of hair a bull would have?

Nope - just a "bump".

All I see is whats left of the the umbilical cord.

Yeah, that is what you are seeing.

Tom - welcome to the world of cattle.

Time to start gathering up information on these animals and spreading this knowledge throughout the family. It will keep the number of fantasies down and the number of facts up.

Remember - big or small they are pretty much the same - all they need is some decent grass or hay and some minerals - plus clean water.

Try to keep the "coochie coo" out of the chatter with the family - use technically correct terms and make darned sure the family knows this new addition is probably something to eat or sell.

Finally - this will tick some folks off - but it is just me. You are NOT a new Dad - you are the owner of another animal. Please do not humanize them - they are what they are. A crop of walking meat - destined in most cases for the pot.

Have a good one,

Bez!
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:59 am

Bez! wrote:You are NOT a new Dad

I don;t know, when a cow I've Aied calves and everything goes as planned and it's a good calf I'm as pumped up as a new dad

dun
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:08 am

dun wrote:
Bez! wrote:You are NOT a new Dad

I don;t know, when a cow I've Aied calves and everything goes as planned and it's a good calf I'm as pumped up as a new dad

dun

I believe you know where I am going with this Dun.
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:25 am

Great advise....if you don't have the experience of actually handling the calf at birth and haven't checked for being a bull calf...just watch...you have a heifer.
The feeling of accomplishment assisting life into the world can be compared with the new dad feeling but wait a few minutes and see who the calf wants to take care of it.
I don't fancy cleaning calf butt and providing the groceries unless absolutely necessary. But that's just me.
DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:17 am

If your calf urinated from the back its a girl. We call them heifers. If you will look under the tail, you will see an anus and a vulva. Look between her legs and you won't see any testicles. Naturally if you only see an anus and between the legs there are testicles, then it would be a bull.

I'm curious about this "dwarf" hereford you have. Not many dwarfs around, so what makes you think this one is a dwarf? How tall is she. Measure her height at the top of the hips. Approximate will do, don't have to be exact. Is she registered?

If she is a registered hereford, you may own a miniature hereford. If so, and if she is small, say 40 inches or so, she may be worth $3,000 plus with the calf.

PM me if you want more info.

Bez brought up a lot of good points. You will make your life easier if you don't humanize them.
0 x

GURU
GURU

Postby 1848 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:45 am

SF wrote:If your calf urinated from the back its a girl

Exactly, If you are not going to handle them then just watch their urination. Otherwise lift up the tail head. There will only be a butt orifice for bulls, where for females there will be another patch of hair with a rise and orifice below the butt.. :roll: :D
0 x

ROCKSPRINGS
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ROCKSPRINGS » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:04 pm

TurnThatCowLooseMaw wrote:Well lets see if its a boy it will have the tuft of hair hanging down on the bottom and have little testicles hanging down between its legs much like most males of any species. If its a girl cow she will have a little bit of a navel for a while but if she wee wees out the back then its a girl. Lift the calves tale and if it has testicles its male and no testicles mean female of course. Secondly if you have no knowledge of cows then why on earth did you buy her?

Expert advise from the expert :roll:
0 x
Overcrowded jails make a safer town.

GURU
GURU

Postby 1848 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:11 pm

TurnThatCowLooseMaw wrote:little testicles hanging down between its legs much like most males of any species.

Frogs, fish, lizards, snakes, reptiles, insects, birds, and half of the mammals?

Sounds like 80% "don't" have them hanging to me. :lol:

(snakes and birds....whew...that would be difficult) :shock:
0 x

WORANCH
GURU
GURU

Postby WORANCH » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:56 pm

TurnThatCowLooseMaw wrote: if you have no knowledge of cows then why on earth did you buy her?

You could be asked the same question. :lol: :lol:
0 x
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

ROCKSPRINGS
Rancher
Rancher

comment

Postby ROCKSPRINGS » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Overcrowded jails make a safer town.

tom tiboney
Beginner
Beginner

Postby tom tiboney » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks for the great tips. I'm sorry I sounded so ignorant, but the truth was we just were not sure. I didn't realize that all (??) cattle had the bump in the middle of the stomach, I thought only the males did, and that it was the penis. But I noticed her mom has the bump also.

Anyway I caught her the other day, flanked her & got her on her back. DUH !! Naturally it's girl, four little nipples, no testicles.

As stated before we were out of town when she calved, my stepdaughter helped deliver the calf & she said it was a boy because of the bump & she didn't see a vulva. Ok, so her mom believes her rather than me, even though I saw her urinate.

Anyway, were pretty excited it's a girl, Bel.
0 x

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:46 pm

tom tiboney wrote:Anyway I caught her the other day, flanked her & got her on her back. DUH !! Naturally it's girl, four little nipples, no testicles.

Another tidbit for you...all calves have teats (not nipples, teats). :lol: I saw a young boy lift the tail on a calf in the chute once and announce it was a heifer; dad didn't believe him and took a peek himself. It was a steer. Son says "but, it has teats" - dad's response? "You do too, don't you?" :oops: :lol:
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”