Solid Silver Calf

Let us know who you are.
lazymranch
Beginner
Beginner

Solid Silver Calf

Postby lazymranch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:58 am

Started off with Charolais heifers and ended up losing half of my calves last year due to the calves being too big. In May of last year we purchased a young registered Black Angus Bull out of Traveler and Expectation and bred to our Charolais X Cows and have ended up with beautiful solid black calves. Had a brand new calf born yesterday and she is a beautiful solid Silver with black eyes and a black nose. Is this normal? I am new to cross breeding! [/quote]
0 x

BlackBaldyMan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby BlackBaldyMan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:04 am

Yeah most breeds are trying to get the black in there, sorry to hear about your prev. calves, Traveler is a good line, should be happy with the crosses.
0 x

lazymranch
Beginner
Beginner

silver calf

Postby lazymranch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:12 am

Now if I keep her and use her for breeding purposes and breed her back to a Black Angus what color calves will she have?
0 x

lazymranch
Beginner
Beginner

showing

Postby lazymranch » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:44 am

My son is twelve years old and involved in FFA. He will start showing calves in the fall. This might be a good calf for him to start showing in a commercial class. Does anyone know how this color will do for showing??
0 x

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Re: silver calf

Postby randiliana » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:10 pm

lazymranch wrote:Now if I keep her and use her for breeding purposes and breed her back to a Black Angus what color calves will she have?

It depends on whether she passes the dilution gene (which makes them grey) on to her calves. Some would be black, some will be various shades of grey.
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”