Noob from Colorado

Let us know who you are.
ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Noob from Colorado

Postby ZachinCO » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello All!

Found this place while doing research before getting into the fun of owning cattle. I have horses, but have expanding land and thought that since it was previously used for grazing leases, might as well look into doing it myself. This seems to be a great source of info.

I'm in CO towards the Eastern Plains, but still in the trees.
0 x

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Re: Noob from Colorado

Postby msplmtneer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:34 pm

Welcome :tiphat:
0 x
If you are going to be stupid you gotta be tough

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:35 am

:welcome:
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:54 am

You're somewhere on the front range?
We recently moved away from NoCo
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:35 am

0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:42 am

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:34 pm

CottageFarm wrote::welcome:
You're somewhere on the front range?
We recently moved away from NoCo

I'm about an hour east of Co Sorings.

Thanks for the welcomes!
0 x

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Is it a weird thing to bring back your own beginner post from the past?

Well, it's taken me a little longer than I had expected, but that's ok. More time to read and learn. That and find my own place, which took considerably longer than we expected. 2 years to be exact.

Anyways, we bought 11 head last September. As of this last week, we now have 13, expecting a few more. Might buy a few more in another month or so. Just depends on local pricing.

Once thing I've learned over the last 6 months of owning, have fencing supplies on hand...

Looking forward to getting more involved now.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:43 pm

actually Most folks like when a thread is updated by the OP , so many people are one hit wonders . Im glad your getting the hang of things
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Well, it wasn't for a lack of trying, but the counties I was going to buy property are just crazy now with sales. I never thought it would take 2 years to find a place that met our needs.

One of the nice things is that we actually bought the cattle from the previous owner. He was retired and didn't care to have all that goes with cattle.

BTW, all Black Angus. A couple with some white spots, but you don't eat the hide.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm

ZachinCO wrote:Well, it wasn't for a lack of trying, but the counties I was going to buy property are just crazy now with sales. I never thought it would take 2 years to find a place that met our needs.

One of the nice things is that we actually bought the cattle from the previous owner. He was retired and didn't care to have all that goes with cattle.

BTW, all Black Angus. A couple with some white spots, but you don't eat the hide.

Sounds like you found the right place.

Congratulations
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 pm

ZachinCO wrote:Hello All!

Found this place while doing research before getting into the fun of owning cattle. I have horses, but have expanding land and thought that since it was previously used for grazing leases, might as well look into doing it myself. This seems to be a great source of info.

:wave:

Hello. I lived in Colorado - 1980 and 2005 to 2010. On my list of the 3 best states in the Nation. Tell me where you are out there. Lots of Prairie rattlesnakes up in the Pawnee National Grasslands. I hunted coyotes on lands leased by our hunting club. Near Kiowa. If you are east of CS, you are not too far from Kiowa.
0 x

ZachinCO
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ZachinCO » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Hello. I lived in Colorado - 1980 and 2005 to 2010. On my list of the 3 best states in the Nation. Tell me where you are out there. Lots of Prairie rattlesnakes up in the Pawnee National Grasslands. I hunted coyotes on lands leased by our hunting club. Near Kiowa.

Just a stones throw away in Elizabeth. Stayed with my in-laws in Elbert for 2 years after selling in Castle Rock and searching in Elbert and El Paso Counties.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:02 pm

ZachinCO wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Hello. I lived in Colorado - 1980 and 2005 to 2010. On my list of the 3 best states in the Nation. Tell me where you are out there. Lots of Prairie rattlesnakes up in the Pawnee National Grasslands. I hunted coyotes on lands leased by our hunting club. Near Kiowa.

Just a stones throw away in Elizabeth. Stayed with my in-laws in Elbert for 2 years after selling in Castle Rock and searching in Elbert and El Paso Counties.

Hot dogs. Nice prairie out there. Way better than what we had up in Wyoming. It is 6 feet between clumps of grass up there. You actually have some pasture.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”