Spot Spraying with Round up ?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Spot Spraying with Round up ?

Post by ga.prime » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:05 pm
ga.prime wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:40 pm
pricefarm wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:19 pm
Can it really drift to the point of killing a tree ? The farm I lease I always spray the fence rows once a year with round. I use a spot sprayer on my atv. This year after I done it about two weeks later a tree about 30 feet away from the fence was dead. Tree I think was a plume tree around 12 ft tall. The owners think the round up killed it but I don’t think so there where other trees on both sides of that one that is fine.
Most trees have a high tolerance to glyphosate, but plum trees do not have a high tolerance to glyphosate.
They don’t tolerate deer well either.
I planted 50 Chickasaw plums, they ate 49 to the ground.
True that..it seems like they eat anything you plant. Chickasaw can also be easily killed with glyphosate.

where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Back when I gardened I’d use roundup to control grass around trellises built for tomatoes with no ill effect... roundup didn’t kill the trees unless you soaked every leaf on the tree. :2cents:

For what it’s worth...I also use it at the base of all the tree in the yard i mow around....elm, oak, pecan, pear, peach, and yes... plum. No problem.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Vette, it's a problem if you haul off with a atv broadcast spraying or spot spraying roundup into the air and there's a plum tree nearby.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:03 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:32 pm
Vette, it's a problem if you haul off with a atv broadcast spraying or spot spraying roundup into the air and there's a plum tree nearby.
Forgot to mention Hackberry and Sweetgum. Maybe I don’t use enough....I’ve never put more than an ounce or so to a gallon of water....

Now I gave left some spots in the yard by walking through some sprayed areas to soon after spraying adjacent areas. :secret:
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:07 pm

1982vett wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:03 pm
ga.prime wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:32 pm
Forgot to mention Hackberry and Sweetgum. Maybe I don’t use enough....I’ve never put more than an ounce or so to a gallon of water....

Now I gave left some spots in the yard by walking through some sprayed areas to soon after spraying adjacent areas. :secret:
You're really going away from home here.. the question was whether you can kill a plum tree 30 ft away by spot spraying roundup on a fence row from an atv and the answer is yes and it's because of drift and the fact that plum trees have little tolerance to roundup. The question wasn't if you could spray a minuscule amount at the base of a sweetgum or hackberry with no Ill effects - you could do the same to a plum tree with no ill effects- you cannot however with no ill effects in regards to plums in close proximity spray it up into the air as you would while spot spraying a fence row from an atv because you will get drift and there is high likelihood the drift will get on the plums and kill or severely damage them.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Post by Stocker Steve » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:10 pm

[quote=Redgully We used roundup in our orchard for 40 years but we did notice after a number of years it stunted the trees and reduced fruit size. Especially in stone fruit.
[/quote]

I soaked a patch pre plant, and now the tomato plants now looked burned with curled leaves and small fruit... Melons and squash seem fine.
Stocker Steve

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:10 pm
[quote=Redgully We used roundup in our orchard for 40 years but we did notice after a number of years it stunted the trees and reduced fruit size. Especially in stone fruit.
I soaked a patch pre plant, and now the tomato plants now looked burned with curled leaves and small fruit... Melons and squash seem fine.
[/quote]

They say it shouldn't but it does. We used to grow tomatoes commercially and had a weed wiper, i remember you just had to touch a tomato stem and it was dead. I grow roses for garden centres now and glysophate is good for our business. The slightest drift and a rosebush is in trouble. I had one lady have a spraying contractor come in and spray around her roses, end result was she lost about 120 bushes. This is a story we get over and over.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Might not be the gly tho.
There are other maladies that can cause the same leaf curl/stunted fruit thing with tomato plants.
Hot dry weather will do it, and there are several different plant viruses that do the same thing.
Mosaic and Yellow leaf virus come to mind, but there are others. Spotted wilt, curly top...
I've seen them all here over the years.

Uneven watering causes the leaves to curl and be leathery.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:32 pm

greybeard wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am
Stocker Steve wrote:
Might not be the gly tho.
There are other maladies that can cause the same leaf curl/stunted fruit thing with tomato plants.
Hot dry weather will do it, and there are several different plant viruses that do the same thing.
Mosaic and Yellow leaf virus come to mind, but there are others. Spotted wilt, curly top...
I've seen them all here over the years.

Uneven watering causes the leaves to curl and be leathery.

It's funny, if you read a book on tomato diseases you will nearly have a nervous breakdown. It's a wonder how the things grow at all!