seed order

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

seed order

Postby torogmc81 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:35 am

We made two vegetable seed orders last year. First was with Gurney's, probably wont order from them again. Customer Service was horrible. The second was Jung, no opinion either way, they did ship quickly. We've always ordered fruit trees and berries from Stark Bros., they are excellent to work with. Also, Van's Pine Nursery for our large evergreen orders.

Any suggestions or input on other seed companies?

I have catalogs for Henry Fields, Jung, Gurneys, Johnny's, and a few others I need to find

Thanks
Justin
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: seed order

Postby 1982vett » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:18 pm

I don't order much but have used Henry fields, gurneys, and burpee. Never had issues.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Rupp Seed Co. is real good, especially for larger quantities. They're in Ohio. Parks is good too. They're in South Carolina. I've had good service from both. I've ordered from every one listed so far on this page (seeds that is, not live plants) and no problems with any of them. I have ordered live plants in the past from various and sundry vendors but have little enthusiasm for doing it again.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:36 pm

ga.prime wrote:Rupp Seed Co. is real good, especially for larger quantities. They're in Ohio. .

:nod:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Over the years I've ordered from Johnny's, Burpee, Baker Creek, Tomatofest (online co. only), John Scheepers, Burgess and Cook's Garden (owned by Burpee). I've not had any issues with any of them. Any mistakes or problems that arose, these outfits dealt with them promptly and satisfactorily.

I have also used seeds (bought off the racks) from Park's and Hart's. I was happy with the seeds.

Only problem I've ever had was one packet of Zuccini, all the plants had male flowers only, so that year I had no zuccini.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:01 pm

I have had real good luck with Harris Seeds out of Rochester, NY. Quality seeds and excellent customer service.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:26 pm

Get most of my stuff from Pinetree Garden Seeds and Tomato Growers. Also use Park's, Burpee, and Jungs.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Johnnys and Territorial are my go to's for seed. I've never had an issue with either of them and they are true seed producers whereas most of the seed providers are all buying from the same source and repackaging. Johnnys has a bit better germination but Territorial caters to home gardeners and their offerings are pretty trouble free and always taste good.
0 x

iowahawkeyes
GURU
GURU

Postby iowahawkeyes » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:50 am

I have used Rupp Seeds, Holmes Seed, Seedway, and Rispen Seeds (IL based) for my large quantity purchases. Pinetree was ok for buying just a few seeds to try. Did have a seed mix up with them though. Also Rareseeds.com for unusual heirloom/non gmo seeds in small packets, they have tons of variety and I have really good luck with their seeds.
0 x
I think it's finally summer

Return to “Gardening”